[SOLVED] POLL -> what backupformat is used? GZIP or LZO?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello,

i would like to make a little poll for the backupformat what is in use. For the last years i always used gzip. Works, but not really fast. Since the last few weeks we changed to lzo, an the speedup was amazing. So what format is used from others, and is LZO really stable... it es the default in Proxmox right...

Best Regards
fireon

Sorry to necro this thread :) I am doing nightly vzdump to a mirrored 2TB pool, so there is plenty of space. I also created an account on rsync.net, so I can monthly send a couple of important VMs to them for offsite backup. I use rsync+ssh for that, and I note that that has a '-z' option. So, the question: am I better off sticking with lzo compression, and sending the backups via vanilla rsync, or remove lzo compression from the backup job, and use '-z' when doing the rsync to the offsite? Note that the host has plenty of CPU and disk space, so that isn't a concern. Thanks :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!