Windows guests boots to black screen with cursor

amjiphone

Oct 27, 2014
Akron, Ohio, United States
I was running a few vms on a Dell server and everything was running ok. I upgraded to 3.3-1 via cd and created some new machines running Windows 7. I installed the first machine and was in Windows running fine. I rebooted the vm and now I just boot into a black screen and nothing loads. I have tried to reinstall one additional time and got the same thing. I included a screen shot of what I see in hopes that someone can give me some guidance. This is the server I am using for this setup. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/GC66RG1/configuration

EDIT: I wanted to just add in some more information. This is happening with Windows guests only. I moved over my two Linux based VMs and they start and display just fine. I have two Windows 7 guests and one Windows Server 2k8 guest that the black screen happens to.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
I did get this fixed. Somehow after the install of Windows, I would reboot and the machine would get to a black screen with a cursor and freeze. I followed this post I found and it actually fixed the issue. It would seem the MBR just kept getting messed up. As far as I know this affected Windows 7 x64 and Server 2k8 x64. I wanted to get this posted on here in case someone else sees it. Hope this helps someone else and saves a headache or two!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!