Windows Update Breaks VM

vm1990

Oct 3, 2014
Right every time i install Windows 7 its fine i can reboot it and everything just works the problem i have is when i update windows it reboots and during the startup it come up installing update x of 5 then it restarts and all i get is the crap windows recovery, it fails to recover and then im stuck all i can do is reinstall, does anyone know which update causes this?

not really if its something messing with the virtual bios then its and issue with proxmox. plus if proxmox ever want to compete with vmware and hyper-v hell of virtualbox did something the same id choose them and there free to. they need to sort problems out. if this was just on one or 2 virtual machines then id be fine but the fact it happens every single time no matter what specs i use or harddrives or even windows 7 version the only common factor is proxmox, i really like proxmox but some of the things that go wrong are so simple its almost funny.

i get that theres problems and if there where any others having problems id look for solutions but im just stumped what it can be

when i do that it forces the VM to reboot. i think iv found the problem and i think its got something to do with sata type harddrive i just installed using the IDE type and all updates worked fine. very strange issue

Windows update issues caused us to eventually give up on using a ProxMox-based KVM for the department's Win 2008 server and return to dedicated hardware. I just could not be sure that I'd get my server "back" after running a Windows update.

i agree its a pain in the back side but its looking more and more like its something to do with the types of drive you can select iv now installed 4 windows 7 boxes and 2 windows 10 Dev boxes and all are running fine with IDE selected drives instead of Sata drives

i agree its a pain in the back side but its looking more and more like its something to do with the types of drive you can select iv now installed 4 windows 7 boxes and 2 windows 10 Dev boxes and all are running fine with IDE selected drives instead of Sata drives

Great! Now that you found the problem why you don't proceed a step further by installing virtio drivers?

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_VirtIO_Drivers#Choose_the_right_driver

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_7_guest_best_practices

Windows update issues caused us to eventually give up on using a ProxMox-based KVM for the department's Win 2008 server and return to dedicated hardware. I just could not be sure that I'd get my server "back" after running a Windows update.

We are running in to the same issues.

We host a handful of Linux and Windows VMs for clients.
Linux, and Windows Server 2012 have no issues.

Specifically Windows 7 and Windows 2008 will randomly decide not to boot (going into System Recovery) after installing Windows Updates.
I've tested with virtio, IDE, and SATA drives. Regardless of the drive type, Windows utterly bombs randomly after installing Windows Updates. It doesn't do it every time, but eventually after rebooting to install Windows Updates the box will simply not boot. Running Startup Repair won't fix it. The only way I've managed to get the box working is to roll back my ZFS snapshot of the disk. Unfortunately it appears the VM can be 'broken' at any time--even weeks before, and then a reboot will cause it to not start up again.

I have not been able to test it with Windows 8 or Windows 10 as customers hate Windows 8 and Windows 10 probably shouldn't be used in production yet.

My 4 proxmox nodes have been running Windows xp, 7, 2008, 2012 just fine for years... Not sure why since people seem to have issues and want to blame proxmox.

Iv found for windows 7 if you use IDE from the start windows update dosnt break it. Server 2008 works fine with SATA. Windows 10 also work fine with SATA but the new release don't boot at all on proxmox

Iv done over a 100 installs with windows 7 on IDE and run through the updates on all of them and non failed to boot. Windows 7 with SATA failed 1 in 10 times

I know it proxmox that causes the problem iv run the same configurations using every virtual software I can think of. Its Windows 7 and proxmox don't always agree

I'm not blaming Proxmox.
I'm saying it appears to only *occur* when running as a VM under Proxmox.

It doesn't occur on any of the physical workstations.
It doesn't occur on the vSphere servers we manage.
It doesn't occur under hyper-v.
It only occurs running under Proxmox (qemu/kvm/whatever).

My guess is it's a Windows bug that gets tripped under odd/rare circumstances.

We're all just trying to figure out what it is, so we can try to fix it.

This isn't about placing blame.

Its a glitch I'm pretty sure its something to do with a windows update trying to mod the virtual bios (get the same issue if you try to crack windows with a bios mod) or something on the first line on the hard drive again cracking windows does affect this the same way updates do. Its an annoying glitch that seems to be unique to windows and proxmox. I don't blame them just wish they'd have a quick look into it.

Its a glitch I'm pretty sure its something to do with a windows update trying to mod the virtual bios (get the same issue if you try to crack windows with a bios mod) or something on the first line on the hard drive again cracking windows does affect this the same way updates do. Its an annoying glitch that seems to be unique to windows and proxmox. I don't blame them just wish they'd have a quick look into it.
What would you like the proxmox guys to look at? If it's an issue with seabios, that's not specific to proxmox and would happen on any kvm.

You specifically state "I'm not blaming them, I just wish they would look into it". That is blaming proxmox. Talk to upstream kvm or the guys that write seabios....

What would you like the proxmox guys to look at? If it's an issue with seabios, that's not specific to proxmox and would happen on any kvm.

You specifically state "I'm not blaming them, I just wish they would look into it". That is blaming proxmox. Talk to upstream kvm or the guys that write seabios....

Since some of us here don't know the intimate details of everything from the Linux Kernel, to virtualization, to BIOS, etc...we're mostly hoping that someone with a bit more knowledge can point us in the right direction or give us troubleshooting tips.

As a counter-argument though: If you're from the United States and remember the early 2000's, you might remember all those Ford Explorer rollovers. Most people *still* associate those rollovers with Ford, even though a government investigation said it was the Firestone tires provided by a 3rd party.

I'll tell you what my boss says: "No, we're not buying a support contract for Proxmox. It keeps toasting Windows 7 boxes." He doesn't care about which components are from which vendor. He doesn't even care about the cost. He cares about the completed, bundled product that we deploy for our customers--he know that "vSphere just works".

Yeah--it annoys me. It probably annoys you too. Meh.

So by your theory if my TV breaks I shouldn't contact the company that make the TV I should take the TV apart and find the person who make that one componant ... Or if i download a peice of software and it dosnt work i shouldnt contact the i should contact my motherboard maker... And NO I'm not blaming them if I was blaming the I'd say it. Might simply be a bit of bad code somewhere. I'd like them to have a look into it. I'm sure they have coders which can replicate the problem and see what's happening

So by your theory if my TV breaks I shouldn't contact the company that make the TV I should take the TV apart and find the person who make that one componant ... Or if i download a peice of software and it dosnt work i shouldnt contact the i should contact my motherboard maker... And NO I'm not blaming them if I was blaming the I'd say it. Might simply be a bit of bad code somewhere. I'd like them to have a look into it. I'm sure they have coders which can replicate the problem and see what's happening
The problem with this logic that you seem to want to try to put in my mouth?

YOU DIDNT PAY FOR PROXMOX. If you did, contact them on your support. This is an open source project, find a problem? Fix it.

The problem with this logic that you seem to want to try to put in my mouth?

YOU DIDNT PAY FOR PROXMOX. If you did, contact them on your support. This is an open source project, find a problem? Fix it.

Wow from a senior member to... I'm sure this makes everybody want to go and buy support tickets now.. It maybe free but so is virtualbox and they have NEVER been rude to me like this.. Hyper-V is free to and guess what there happy to help to. Makes you wonder who should get my money

Wow from a senior member to... I'm sure this makes everybody want to go and buy support tickets now.. It maybe free but so is virtualbox and they have NEVER been rude to me like this.. Hyper-V is free to and guess what there happy to help to. Makes you wonder who should get my money
senior member just means I have been around the forums for a long time, it means fuck all when it comes to association with proxmox.

I have no association with proxmox aside from being on these forums and using the product for years....so basing your decision on getting support directly from proxmox from an interaction with a community member is retarded.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!