setup HA - needed steps

thp

Nov 12, 2013
Hi,
I have 4 proxmox servers, cluster is created and it works fine. Now I want activate HA. What would be the right order of the steps? I would like to avoid any downtime and if possible any reboot.

I found follow site about this:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Fencing

* on every host activate fencing
- /etc/default/redhat-cluster-pve set FENCE_JOIN="yes"
- /etc/init.d/cman restart
- fence_tool join

* add fence devices
- cp /etc/pve/cluster.conf /etc/pve/cluster.conf.new
- we use ipmi, I add for every host the ipmi device like described in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Fencing#List_of_supported_fence_devices
- check the new config ccs_config_validate -v -f /etc/pve/cluster.conf.new
- if all is fine, activate this new config via broswer interface

* rgmanager
- /etc/init.d/rgmanager start
- update-rc.d rgmanager defaults

Would this be the right order? I tested it on our playground proxmox env yesterday, it worked fine, but for a productive system I would like ask here to avoid any needless mistakes :)

Best regards,
thomas.

Now I want activate HA. What would be the right order of the steps? I would like to avoid any downtime and if possible any reboot.

IMHO, HA requires intense testing before you move into production.

IMHO, HA requires intense testing before you move into production.

I have good experiences with proxmox HA, it works really great. Only if there are network problems, it fails "unrepairable" (I did not find any solution to repair it.)), only a reinstallation of all systems was the solution.

As we started with proxmox ~ one year ago, I activated HA immediatly, my current setup was done without any HA, it runs since 2 month without any problems. Our network and storage setup is without any spof, from this side all is fine and tested.

Now I want activate HA again and I want be shure, that this steps have the right order.

I read the proxmox wiki and would like know, have the steps from this site the right order. We have a basic subscription for this four systems since last month, if it is really needed, I will ask my question over this way :))

some remarks, perhaps there will be a day and someone needs this information

- This steps are working without any downtime.
- fence_tool join was needless
- after /etc/init.d/cman restart it was (for me) needed to restart the service pve-cluster
- without any HA setup for a vm rgmanager will not start
- in my proxmox playground (but only 3 servers, same proxmox setup but without subscription)
Code:
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" ipaddr="1.1.1.1" lanplus="1" login="user" name="ipmi1" passwd="password" power_wait="10"/>
works fine but in productive cluster.conf I had to remove lanplus="1" (I found the solution here: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/19928-Fence-Issues ) .
Perhaps someone from Proxmox can add this into the wiki.

error message:
root@node4:~# fence_node node1 -vv
fence node1 dev 0.0 agent fence_ipmilan result: error from agent
agent args: nodename=node1 agent=fence_ipmilan ipaddr=1.1.1.1 lanplus=1 login=user passwd=password power_wait=10
fence node1 failed

logfile:
Oct 22 15:50:48 node4 fence_ipmilan: Parse error: Ignoring unknown option 'nodename=node1
Oct 22 15:50:48 node4 fence_ipmilan: Failed: Unable to obtain correct plug status or plug is not available
Oct 22 15:50:48 node4 fence_node[529621]: fence node1 failed

I think this is a poor setup because the setup relays on that the server which is to be fenced both recognizes this and actually do fence itself. In a correct HA setup the fencing should be performed from a third party like a PDU or the switch.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!