Backup to NAS Problems

blackpaw

Renowned Member
Nov 1, 2013
My Setup
* Proxmox Cluster, 2 Nodes, 16 VM's
* Shared Storage (NAS, QNAP TS-420, 6TB, RAID-10)
* GB Ethernet
* Switch: TP-Link TL-SG1024D

Backup:
* 1/Week, Proxmoix Backup to Shared Folder on NAS
- Have tested NFS and CIFS for Share
* Shared Folder is then replicated to a external USB Drive attached to the NAS

This used to work well, with rare failures for individual VM's, however since upgrading the NAS (Shell shock) and ProxMox to kernel 3.10, it is failing around 80% of the time (vma_queue_write: write error - Broken pipe).

I could tweak the connection settings till the cows come home, but I've lost confidence in this and the DR Backups are crucial. I suspect the NAS is the issue - a TS-420 is not very high spec'd, but maybe the switch is a problem as well, IANANE (I Am Not A Network Expert).

Backup direct to a USB drive attached to a node works well, but for various reasons is not a option.

I'm thinking I should get a dedicated NAS for backups, can anyone recommend one? or suggest better options? unfortunately budget is an issue.

Thanks - Lindsay

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!