USB installation of Proxmox 3.3 and 3.2 gets stuck at grey screen [Intel Haswell CPU]

PrinceCruise

Oct 17, 2014
Hi guys,

Just registered because I'm stuck on an issue.

First off, a bit of introduction of myself :- I'm a technical support engineer in a backup and recovery firm, 27 years young and love Linux / UNIX and C programming. Love to play around with the open source stuff and am a freerunner/martial arts practioner. I'm a RedHat Linux guy by profession and a Slackware user at home by choice.

Okay, now the issue :-

I assembled a desktop computer with Intel i5-4440 and Intel DB85FL motherboard early this year which has been running Slackware and Linux mint just great. However I've been planning to convert this box into a headless VM host since long so I downloded Proxmox 3.3 and 3.2 both, created a bootable USB and booted via it. Now, on normal ENTER, the boot starts, I go in verbose mode by entering F2, I see the Network card being initialized last and then the GUI starts.
The problem is, the GUI is just a FULL Grey Screen. Nothing else. I waited for like 15 minutes, nothing happened.
Pressed ctrl-alt-f2, saw a message on terminal that something related to openbox.xml not found. Can''t take a screenshot.

Same problem repeats for both 3.3 and 3.2.

Now, I have a ThinkPad L412 with older Intel i5 540M. I booted it with the USB and voila, I get the installation screen fine, which means the issue somewhere is with my desktop machine.

Could anybody please help explain where should I look for debugging and if anybody else has experienced this before?

Regards.

Re: USB installation of Proxmox 3.3 and 3.2 gets stuck at grey screen [Intel Haswell

Hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that your problem is in the version of the chipset on your mainboard or in the video chip, maybe playing with the options of your bios, you can get that the PVE installer works well.

Also a problem that have PVE is that it don't work with fake-raid, so for be sure that this isn't the problem, you don't must have any type of RAID of disks configured in your system.

Re: USB installation of Proxmox 3.3 and 3.2 gets stuck at grey screen [Intel Haswell

Hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that your problem is in the version of the chipset on your mainboard or in the video chip, maybe playing with the options of your bios, you can get that the PVE installer works well.

Also a problem that have PVE is that it don't work with fake-raid, so for be sure that this isn't the problem, you don't must have any type of RAID of disks configured in your system.

Hello cesarpk,

Much thanks for replying. Just wanted to update here that I was able to install Proxmox later on. I did nothing, except pressing ctrl-c on that console's openbox-menu.xml not found output. Suddenly after a flicker, the installation screen appeared. Must be some kind of sorcery. :)

Anyways, I'm playing around with Proxmox, wish me good luck.

Thanks and have a great day ahead.

Regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!