PROXMOX 3.3 - vnc and NoVnc both size windows guest consoles incorrectly

PartTimeGeek

Dec 29, 2010
Huntington, NY
Windows 2008 R2 64 bit KVM guest using VNC Console

I have been seeing this problem when launching vnc consoles for windows guests on two different ProxMox hosts.
I see the behavior when launching the console using Firefox 32.03 and IE 11, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

I saw the behavior on my own Dell Precision M4400 with discrete NVIDIA video, as well as on a Dell Optiplex 9010 with intel integrated video.

When I launch the console using VNC I get the guest machine's desktop, not stretched or squeezed (i.e. not scaled) at the actual resolution of 1024x768 in the upper left hand corner of the browser window, but with a large border around the lower right and bottom edges:
VNCView1024x768DC03.png

Windows 2008 R2 64 bit KVM guest using NoVNC Console
If I use NoVNC I get a browser window that is the same size, but the guest OS window is stretched to fill it, and there is no way to resize the browser window so that the scaling is gone and I can use more screen real estate.

NoVNCView1024x768DC03-stretched.jpg
1024x768 is not enough screen real estate for the way I work, and if I were to increase it to 1280x1024 it extends WAY beyond the desktop of my laptop which has a native resolution of 1920x1200.

Is this a known issue? is there a config file somewhere that I can modify to fix this?

Thanks

Chris.

Last edited:
Dear PartTimeGeek,
I had a similar problem using the Kubuntu 14.04 KDE Terminal for a text console to a virtual Ubuntu server in Proxmox 3.3.

Under Virtual machine xxx, I modified the entry: Display from "Default" to "Standard VGA".

This solved my problem that approximately 5 lines were below my Terminal window lower edge, no matter what I did to enlarge the NoVNC window in Firefox 32.0.3. You may want to experiment with this setting to explore if it can solve your problem as well.

Dear PartTimeGeek,
I had a similar problem using the Kubuntu 14.04 KDE Terminal for a text console to a virtual Ubuntu server in Proxmox 3.3.

Under Virtual machine xxx, I modified the entry: Display from "Default" to "Standard VGA".

This solved my problem that approximately 5 lines were below my Terminal window lower edge, no matter what I did to enlarge the NoVNC window in Firefox 32.0.3. You may want to experiment with this setting to explore if it can solve your problem as well.

Thanks! I will give that a try.

The default setting is equating to a generic VGA adapter from the point of view of the guest OS, but maybe it is at the proxmox end. Hopefully this does it.

C.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!