[SOLVED] Problem PCIe Passthrough M1015 / Network boot hang's up.

Fischje

Renowned Member
Sep 25, 2014
Mönchengladbach/GER
Hello.

I've got problems to passthrough my M1015 PCIe Controller, flashed to IT-mode.

I followd the instructions for intel at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

Before i add the configuration option to the vm-file evetrything seems to be okay and i can bott my vm. If i sign the ocie to the vm, the vm stops at "Booting from Hard Disk". Even if i choose Boot menu and select the virtual disk i want to boot from nothing happens. booting from a live linux works with pcie passthroughed. i don't know what to do.

This is my .conf file at /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
Code:
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
ide0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=1G
memory: 512
name: DiskStation
net0: e1000=A6:AD:68:A2:1E:D4,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: l26
sata0: local:100/vm-100-disk-2.qcow2,size=10G
smbios1: uuid=7c7fa243-7797-46e7-9dbe-404bab88d449
sockets: 1
hostpci0: 06:00.0,pcie=1,driver=vfio
machine: q35

the adress from lspci | grep SCSI
Code:
06:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)

and my versions:
Code:
root@proxmox:/etc/pve/qemu-server# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.2-136 (running kernel: 3.10.0-4-pve)
pve-manager: 3.3-1 (running version: 3.3-1/a06c9f73)
pve-kernel-3.10.0-4-pve: 3.10.0-17
pve-kernel-2.6.32-32-pve: 2.6.32-136
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-1
pve-cluster: 3.0-15
qemu-server: 3.1-34
pve-firmware: 1.1-3
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-19
libpve-access-control: 3.0-15
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-23
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-8
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.1-5
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1

Hope somebody can help :)
qemu.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Problem PCIe Passthrough M1015 XPEnology(Nanoboot) boot hang's up.

Did you blackist the mpt2sas module on the host? If not then create a file: /etc/modprobe.d/pci-redirect.conf with the contents "blacklist mpt2sas" (without quotes) and reboot.

I think the VM boots from ide0 in his conf.

Another shot: I use the same HBA model in kvm with PCI passthrough. But I don't see the bios messages nor the bios installing itself. I think if the card is properly flashed to IT mode you shouldn't see those messages at all. I'd suggest verifying it.

Thank you for your support. This evening I'll give it a try. Currently I'm running esxi 5.5 with passthrough without any problems. Workes like a charm, but it's esxi :)

Did you blackist the mpt2sas module on the host? If not then create a file: /etc/modprobe.d/pci-redirect.conf with the contents "blacklist mpt2sas" (without quotes) and reboot.
I'll try this tonight.

Hi,
I'm not sure it's possible to boot from a pci passthrough device.
I'm booting from virtual disk IDE1. Even if I choose the IDE1 in the boot menu it stops. I don't want to boot from the Controller. THe HDD on this are only my storage ones for a storage vm called XPEnology. Because of this I have to use Nanoboot.

Another shot: I use the same HBA model in kvm with PCI passthrough. But I don't see the bios messages nor the bios installing itself. I think if the card is properly flashed to IT mode you shouldn't see those messages at all. I'd suggest verifying it.
Yes I reflashed the Controller without the Option for the Rom. That is no problem. It will start in IT-Mode. The start is faster because of no boot message. But that does not resolves the problem.

Last edited:

sadly i must say: i can't use proxmox without my controller. don't know what the problem is. with esxi it runs perfectly. :(

Okay,

for now I can tell you that I get it working very well now. I will explain how I have done it, but I must say, that if I'm thinking about subscription, nobody helped me with my problem from the proxmox support... Perhaps because of now subscription, but this is not the way they are making new subscribers.

Okay what I have done:
Before Installation I only connected the SSD where i wnt to install on and the CD-Rom Drive.
Then i installed using "linux ext4" for ext4-format (i have to proove if TRIM is working this evening). After install I halted the system.
Then i connect the Controller and reboot.
After Reboot i refreshed my paket-list and blacklisted the controller in modeprobe:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
echo 'blacklist mpt2sas' >> /etc/modprobe.d/mpt2sas.conf; depmod -aeF /boot/System.map-2.6.32-IRGENDWAS-amd64; update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)
This was the problem in my first try. I forgot to update initramfs.
After reboot and a look at lsmod I installed latest 3.10 kernel because of PCIe-passthrough:
Code:
reboot
cd /
mkdir kernelinstall
cd kernelinstall
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/wheezy/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/pve-kernel-3.10.0-4-pve_3.10.0-17_amd64.deb
dpkg -i pve-kernel-3.10.0-4-pve_3.10.0-17_amd64.deb
reboot
IOMMU Support in grub
# vi /etc/default/grub

change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on"

then

# update-grub
# reboot
After that i followed https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

Perhaps I can help somebody with this.

BTW: Sorry for bad english, I better could explain this in german :)

It's good to know you've resolved it. I'm still using it with an older 2.6.32 kernel since newer ones can't boot on my system and I can't use 3.10 cince I need OVZ. So it seems the solution for you was to update the initramfs...

Yes i like to use ovz templates, but I had to use 3.10 because of vfio and pcie.
Hope the kernel will be rdy for ovz sometime....

Last edited:

Just to note: I use the same card as you on 2.6.x without any performance or other issues.

What are your edits in the #.conf in qemu-server dir?
This is my config:

Code:
bootdisk: virtio0
cpu: host
hostpci0: 01:00.0
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: xxx
net0: virtio=11:22:33:44:55:66,bridge=vmbr0
onboot: 1
vga: qxl
virtio0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=8G

okay, thank you. this is interesting. i thought that pcie-cards MUST have this line for working:
Code:
[B]hostpci0: 06:00.0,pcie=1,driver=vfio
[/B]

AFAIK there's no need to use the PCIe features of KVM if the device doesn't require some PCIe-specific function. Although I'm not completely familiar with the technical details of this.

okay, then i had to downgrade my kernel to test it, but i don't know how to downgrade it to the actual standard kernel :(

Just install it with apt-get and select it at boot to test. The one working for me is the -27 or -28 from the 2.6.32 series.

Thank you for your tipps.

NOT: ****Works like a charm :)****

EDIT: After some reboots my vm could not be started. I had to redone the kernel downgrade.

Last edited:

Ich möchte mich nochmal melden:

Den SATA-Controller kann ich ohne Probleme einbinden, aber ich hab was neues.

Ich hatte 2 Monate lang eine I340-T4 auch durchgereicht an eine VM. Jetzt musste ich den Server neu aufsetzen und Proxmox neu installieren. Ich habe die Konfiguration nicht verändert, jedoch wenn ich jetzt die VM starten möchte, reissen alle Netzwerkverbindungen ab und die VM startet auch nicht. Ich kann den Server dann nur hart resetten. Was könnte das sein und wie reiche ich die Karte richtig durch?

EDIT- English:

I need help a second time:

I can run the M1015 without problems, but i got a new problem after some months:

Every time i try to passthrough my I340-T4 my system crashes. I made a screenshot of syslogd, perhaps somebody can help.

Last edited:

Code:
boot: dc
bootdisk: ide0
hostpci1: 06:00.0,pcie=1,driver=vfio,rombar=off
hostpci0: 01:00,pcie=1,driver=vfio
ide0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=10G
ide2: local:iso/XYZ.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 3096
name: xyz
smbios1: uuid=dd7d1a63-72b3-4507-9583-be03872f8e88
startup: order=1,up=15,down=15

help001.PNG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!