High I/O usage on Win2000 vm

acidrop

Renowned Member
Jul 17, 2012
hello

I did p2v on an old physical win2k server and put it as vm on a standalone proxmox node.
VM booted normally but I have very high i/o usage which makes things very difficult.
On same Proxmox nodeI have another vm with win2003 which also did p2v from another physical server.This vm runs as expected.Below I'm posting in case someone can give an idea:

vm config:
------------

Code:
[FONT=arial]acpi: 0[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]balloon: 1024[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]boot: ccn[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]bootdisk: ide0[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]cores: 1[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ide0: local:101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=65G[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ide1: ssd-data:101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,size=100G[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ide2: none[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]memory: 4096[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]name: mainsrv[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]net0: e1000=6E:B8:ED:B8:93:76,bridge=vmbr0[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]ostype: w2k[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]smbios1: uuid=77dc2172-4804-4a24-8f29-a07186b254a0
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]sockets: 1 [/FONT]

I have configured the vm with 2 ide disks which both reside on ssd disks.

Code:
pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:      29599.64
REGEX/SECOND:      2706175
HD SIZE:           14.60 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS:    428.89 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 0.06 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     212.79
DNS EXT:           171.22 ms

What I have tried:

1. Disabling ACPI and put 1 socket/ 1 cpu core -> Set Standard PC on Device Manager -> Computer type.
2. Enabling ACPI and put 1 socket/ 2 cpu cores -> Set ACPI Multiprocessor on Device Manager -> Computer type.
3. Tried to put Virtio but was difficult to find appropriate drivers for win2000 and finally after found and installed them, they appear with exclamation mark on device manager, so not working.
4. Tried only intel 1000 adapter for the moment and updated drivers from intel.

The strange thing is that inside vm by using process explorer everything looks normal but when I use iotop on proxmox host I can see that this particular vm has more than 50% i/o usage.
I am really out of ideas and would appreciate if anybody can suggest something else.

I did some progress after reading similar threads on forum:

Computer type --> ACPI PC (not multiprocessor) on win2k vm
Gave 1 socket/1core on vm
Gave rtl8138 nic on vm

Results:
1. Now cpu usage is almost normal
2. Read performance inside vm looks normal ~280MB/sec (CrystalDiskMark)
3. Write performance inside vm is bad ~20MB/sec (CrystalDiskMark)
4. Network performance is also bad and when I try to copy a file from another external location (NAS) it takes very long to open any program.Disk format is qcow2.
5. Tried different cache modes without any significant results.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I noticed that when I write data to disk inside vm either from external lan or inside vm and at the same time I open iotop -o on proxmox host, there is 50% I/O usage. So the the problem is only with writes.
If I try to copy from vm to another location on external lan there is no I/O delay.

did you try raw partition instead of qcow.

find qcow quite slow for windows vm, you should try raw with write cache

I will try raw also, but I have another vm with win2003 on the same server in qcow2 format which performs very good.So I do not excpect much from this.Anyway I will try and report back.

Which are the optimal fstab options for an ext4 formatted /var/lib/vz for ssd disks?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!