A question about ceph on proxmox through extrnal USB

kumarullal

Renowned Member
Jun 17, 2009
LA, USA
I have 3 dell 760 servers with proxmox on it. If I attach a 4 port usb hub, and attach 1 250GB SSD and 3 2TB hd to it, can I configure it as ceph storage on proxmox?
WHat is the downside to it? Assuming I connect it to usb 3.0 port.

Short answer, yes you can. But it will be more hassle than what it is worth. Is it the Dell optiplex 760 Is lack of HDD space inside chassis is why you want to use USB? If you are going to use just one node for ceph, you might as well use the hdds as direct attached with sata, esta or usb. Ceph in this case will not be a wise idea. Even if it is for practice purpose, you should at least have 2 nodes for ceph.

It is not optiplex desktop. It is Poweredge R760 with 2 sockets of Xeon processors with 64GB ram. I have 3 such nodes.
Can I use external usn storage hub for ceph?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!