How to mount a .qcow2 image as my first (ide0) hdd?

Fischje

Renowned Member
Sep 25, 2014
Mönchengladbach/GER
Hello there!

New to proxmox i got following question.

a tutorial shows me these steps:

01 create a new kvm machine with 1 cpu (kvm64) ... 512 mb ram ... 1 network card (e1000)
02 copy the nanoboot image into the new created kvm folder (if the vm have the number 010, replace the *** in the next steps with 010)
03 qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 /var/lib/vz/images/***/IMAGE.img /var/lib/vz/images/***/vm-***-disk-1.qcow2
04 mount the vm-***disk-1.qcow2 as ide0 disk and boot from this disk
05 create a new disk vm-***disk-2.qcow2 (ide1) as data disk
06 start the vm
I don't know, how to mount the newly created qcow2 image. Anybody can help?Is it only upload and then create new disk using this image? :)

Thanks

Last edited:
is quite simple, but you have to be used to:

your new vm will have a (initially blank) disk in the format you specified (eg: qcow2), called
/var/lib/vz/images/***/vm-***-disk-1.qcow2

if is like that, you just have to replace the disk (qcow2 file) created by vm creation with your new qcow file, keeping the same filename.

or change the <vmid>.conf file accordingly, there you can change also disk type, storage, etc.
always check also vm boot order, by gui or .conf file, or temporarily select it at boot (quick!) with F12

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!