Passthrough RAMDISK to Guest for direct access

ekin06

Jul 15, 2014
Hello,

is it possible to prepare a Ramdisk (tmpfs/ramfs) for a KVM guest to have direct access on it - even if its not a block device?
I want to have something like a local shared Ramdisk for all VMs where plain data (where fast access is needed) can be stored temporarily.

I can passthrough a normal Disk or Partition in the vm conf with "virtio0: /disk/by/.../sdxx"? Any suggestion how I can/should do this for a Ramdisk, or is it not possible? Hope you know what I mean. I dont want to assign like 128GB RAM to a single VM and share this via NFS/CIF, because in case of a Backup the whole Ramdisk will get backed up as well.

Thx,
Kind Regards
ekin

Last edited:
You can add directory where your ramdisk is mounted to PVE as storage and manually add one of images there to VM's configs.
But you need something to recreate images after host reboots because without it them VMs will not start.
And to share single image on several machines you will need to use some clustered filesystem on it, like ocfs/gfs2.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!