[SOLVED] Dedicating a NIC to a VM (or any alternative way of achieving an equivalent result)

currysoup

Aug 29, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of evaluating Proxmox VE for a planned migration to a virtual environment. Though I am not new to Linux or Virtualisation I am completely new to Proxmox. As such I fully appreciate that there may be better ways of achieving my goal than I am currently attempting.

I have a single Proxmox VE server with multiple NIC's (7). I would like to have two VM's each with a single network connection to our lan 10.0.0.x. preferably a dedicated nic for each. At present I have a default configuration where eth0 is mapped to vmbr0 with a static address 10.0.0.10/24. I can assign the bridge to multiple machines.

Is it possible to assign a NIC directly to a VM? I have tried setting up an additional bridge eth1>vmbr1 (10.0.0.11/24) but when assigning an address and gateway I recieve the message that the gateway is already in use on vmbr0. This implies that I am not configuring this correctly (which I am sure is the case).

Would an alternative be to bond eth0,1,2,3 etc... with load balancing and then map vmbr0 to bond0? This (if I understand it correctly) should give me what I want but instead of assigining a nic to a machine, bonds multple nic's and maps them to a bridge assignable to multiple machines.

I do appreciate that this may have been covered elsewhere and I apologise if this is the case. I have tried searching for various iterations of "proxmox assign nic to VM" but I appreciate that this search may not yield the results I'm looking for if I am going about this the wrong way.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: Dedicating a NIC to a VM (or any alternative way of achieving an equivalent resul

You can create a bridge on the ProxMox VE host, like, vmbr1, assign eth1 as a bridged port, but, do not assign an IP-address to it.
Next, in your VM assign the interface to vmbr1 and within the VM configre your IP-address.
same thing with the others. This also works when using bonded interfaces, just do not set a IP-address on the ProxMox host, and you are set.
You can then set the IP-address in the VM as you please ....

Re: Dedicating a NIC to a VM (or any alternative way of achieving an equivalent resul

Thank you, I have just tried this and it works perfectly.

Thinking about it I was going about this all wrong!

Thank you again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!