Easy Success Migrating a Hyper-V Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller

Lonnie

Sep 16, 2014
I hate to speak to soon, but I just had an easy time converting a hyper-v windows 2008 domain contoller to Proxmox 3.3-1.

The steps I took, were maybe strange, but here they are:

1) I shut down the domain controller virtual machine on hyper-v.
2) I moved the vhd file of the hyper-v virtual machine to an Ubuntu server. I did this by mapping the Hyper-V host's file system to a mount point on the Ubuntu server and rysnc-ing it, but there are probably easier ways. As long as you get the vhd file to Ubuntu and it is exact (md5sum), any way seems fine.
3) On the Ubuntu 14.04 server I installed qemu-img like this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install qemu-utils
4) After that I ran one command that pretty quickly converted the 25GB virtual disk from vhd to qcow2:
Code:
qemu-img convert -p -O qcow2 /path/to/source/image/Win2008.vhd /home/user/Win2008.qcow2
5) Then, on the Proxmox web interface, I created a new virtual machine with the same approximate settings of the virutal machine as it was in hyper-v, and then I deleted the Proxmox virtual hard drive (that it creates by default) using the web interface.
6) I moved the newly converted Win2008.qcow2 file (from the Ubunu server) to that newly created virtual machines folder on the Proxmox server. In my case it was in a folder named 101. From Ubuntu's command prompt, that command went like this:
Code:
scp -r "/home/user/Win2008.qcow2" root@192.168.0.5:/var/lib/vz/images/101/
7) Last, I edited the config file for this virtual machine, using this command on the proxmox server:
Code:
nano /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/101.conf
I removed the default image indicated (and the disk size indicated) then replaced it with the Win2008.qcow2 one that i just converted from vhd and moved to the same folder that the default one was in. I found how to do that here. I'm a little concerned about the fact that my config file doesn't indicated the virtual hard drive's size, so any comments about that would be appreciated.

Results:

The server boot right up, the only thing I had to do was configure the new virtual network adapter that Windows detected. The only weird thing, was I had to configure it a couple of times before the settings would truely take. I've had that same experience when going from hyper-v to hyper-v with image only....

After that, I tested Active Directory by adding and removing some users, and those changes propagated both ways with my other domain controller. There was also sql server running on this too, where clients were using ACT CMR client. I went around to user's computers and that application worked just fine talking to the database on this newly migrated Promox vm.

I'll also say it is running fast! However, the Proxmox machine has faster hardware too, so not a fair comparision.

This is not a best practice or anything. I just wanted to testify that it went smoothy for me. I may be speaking too soon, but everything I've tested works perfectly right now.

On the hyper-v server, I've set this virtual machine to only come on manually (so not upon reboot). I'm going to leave that thing there a little while to make sure this is truely stable. In time I will just remove it from hyper-v, and replace that server OS with Proxmox too. Then I'll set up a cluster of 2.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!