[SOLVED] Add additional virtual disk to VM

finish06

Renowned Member
Sep 2, 2014
I currently have an Ubuntu server VM running and I am attempting to add additional disk to it. I have used the webUI under VM106 (my ubuntu server VM) > Hardware > Add > Hard disk... I have added an IDE, a SATA, and a virtio disk all in an attempt to have one of them show up in Ubuntu server. I have rebooted the VM after adding the disk in case that was necessary. Nothing. When I "ls /dev/", I receive zero sb* options, nor any additional vd* options. Anything I might be over looking or any insight? Let me know if additional information is necessary.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Stop, then start the VM.
A new KVM process is needed to see the new disks and a VM reboot does not cause a new KVM process to be created.

Maybe some day we will be able to hot add disks.......

Wow! That was an easy fix. I didn't even consider the different between rebooting the machine vs doing a hard off / on. I figured it was something easy I was missing. Thank you!

Yes, works flawlessly. When disk is attached you need to go to disk management to initialize the new disk. From there on it is simply assign a drive letter to the disk and format it. Hot unplug also works flawlessly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!