Downgrade Kernel on Proxmox 3.2 system? (USB3 driver issues)

I'm successfully running a few systems on Proxmox 3.2, but recently after a system update (presumably to a new kernel) my two USB3 docks used for offline backups started failing badly.

Some googling suggested that the problem is related to a regression in the xhci driver used by my USB3 devices. I've tested the docks and hard drives on other hardware using other OS' and there is no problems. Again, pointing to a small regression introduced in the 3.2.0-4-amd4 kernel I'm running.

Is there a way to downgrade my installation to a past kernel release?

I was kind of surprised to find Promox only has one kernel installed. This kind of kernel issue happens often enough in Linux that I like having the last 2-3 kernels in order to easily downgrade when a surprise hits me.

Thanks,

I was kind of surprised to find Promox only has one kernel installed.

Hi,
pve has more than one kernel. The difference between 2.6.32-18 to 2.6.32-30 are much more than some expected.
And there is an 3.10 kernel (from testing), which you can try (if you don't need openvz): New-packages-in-pvetest

OpenVZ (and the work to maintain an kernel) is also the reason why you don't find "many" kernels.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!