[solved] VMs and storage not displayed in browser GUI after PVE host migration

seron

Feb 5, 2014
I attempted to migrate a Proxmox host installation to a smaller (space-wise) storage device (a USB stick). I did this by first installing Proxmox on the USB stick using the ISO installer. I then mounted[1] the partitions on the stick in the system to be migrated and replaced all directories on the stick with the ones in the running system (using cp -a). After some changes in boot parameters and fstab the system booted with the USB stick in place of the HDD used before. So far so good.

I then noticed that VMs and storage are not displayed in the browser GUI. These resources reside on their own pair of HDDs set up in a ZFS mirror. They were not migrated in the above process and remain in the system. They get mounted automatically on boot, as I had hoped.

What I don't understand is why the VMs and storage (or anything else under the node) are not displayed in the web GUI. Perhaps they are not registered by the PVE. I don't understand why and am in need of some help.

[1] vgrename was used to rename the LVM volume group on the stick as it must be different from an exisiting volume group in order to be visible to the system, and in turn be mountable.

Last edited:
Re: VMs and storage not displayed in browser GUI after PVE host migration

I attempted to migrate a Proxmox host installation to a smaller (space-wise) storage device (a USB stick). I did this by first installing Proxmox on the USB stick using the ISO installer. I then mounted[1] the partitions on the stick in the system to be migrated and replaced all directories on the stick with the ones in the running system (using cp -a). After some changes in boot parameters and fstab the system booted with the USB stick in place of the HDD used before. So far so good.

I then noticed that VMs and storage are not displayed in the browser GUI. These resources reside on their own pair of HDDs set up in a ZFS mirror. They were not migrated in the above process and remain in the system. They get mounted automatically on boot, as I had hoped.

What I don't understand is why the VMs and storage (or anything else under the node) are not displayed in the web GUI. Perhaps they are not registered by the PVE. I don't understand why and am in need of some help.

[1] vgrename was used to rename the LVM volume group on the stick as it must be different from an exisiting volume group in order to be visible to the system, and in turn be mountable.
Hi,
you know that /etc/pve isn't an normal filesystem?
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_file_system_%28pmxcfs%29

Udo

Re: VMs and storage not displayed in browser GUI after PVE host migration

Thank you! I did not know that.

As described in the Recovery section I stopped the pve-cluster service, copied over the /var/lib/pve-cluster directory, emptied the /etc/pve/ directory and finally restarted the service.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!