Disaster Recovery ??

longhair

Jun 27, 2014
On my test server, I have 4 hard drives with 4 VMs and decided to perform a clean install of the Proxmox drive to simulate a disaster.

I was able to restore the drives and I see the contents (vm-100-disk-1, ... , vm-103-disk-1) on the drives.

How do I restore the actual VMs back to their working state? I do not have any backup files from Proxmox.

I don't know if this is the correct way of doing this but this is what I have done to get it to work. This is a general guide as I don't have Proxmox running at the moment.

Created a new VM (ID 200) with the same OS & hardware as vm-100-disk-1 (no install disk)
As root in the shell: cd /etc/pve/local/qemu-server
nano 200.conf
Changed vm-200-disk-1 to vm-100-disk-1
Saved as 100.conf
VM100 booted without issue :D

Last edited:
For your disaster recovery scenario you need:
a.VPS Part
- backup VM file: vm-100-disk-1
- backup VM config: such as 100.conf
- backup Proxmox config: /etc/pve/....

b. Linux Part
- backup /etc config, such as /etc/network/...
- any custom config according to your system board, NIC, etc
- any additional libs/drivers

100.conf is a simpel config file, you may make it by editing existing conf or manually create new.

Hi,
I guess there is an typo and you mean "vm-200-disk-1 to vm-100-disk-1"?!

BTW. it's allways an good idea to have an backup of /etc/pve (VM-configs, storage-definitions...).

Udo

you need need to backup /etc/pve.

/etc/pve is just a fuse mountpoint to the real config sqlite database :

/var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

So, it's enough to backup this file :)

Hi Spirit,
but if you only want to recover one VM on an existig (and running) pve-node the saved content of /etc/pve is much easier than the config.db-file.

Udo

Hi,
I guess there is an typo and you mean "vm-200-disk-1 to vm-100-disk-1"?!

BTW. it's allways an good idea to have an backup of /etc/pve (VM-configs, storage-definitions...).

Udo

Yes, that was a typo.

I see that there are a lot of directories and files in /etc/pve. What directories and files would I have to make backups of? I ask because if I had to reinstall Proxmox, I assume authkey.pub and pve-www.key would be regenerated making the old ones useless. I say this because I didn't realize until now that they were even there.

For your disaster recovery scenario you need:
a.VPS Part
- backup VM file: vm-100-disk-1
- backup VM config: such as 100.conf
- backup Proxmox config: /etc/pve/....

b. Linux Part
- backup /etc config, such as /etc/network/...
- any custom config according to your system board, NIC, etc
- any additional libs/drivers

100.conf is a simpel config file, you may make it by editing existing conf or manually create new.

Very informative to this Linux newbie. Thank you.

What you are saying is I just have to backup /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db and it will backup all the required directories and files in /etc/pve ?

Hi Spirit,
but if you only want to recover one VM on an existig (and running) pve-node the saved content of /etc/pve is much easier than the config.db-file.

Udo

What is the difference between backing up /etc/pve and the config.db?

Once I learn the basics, I will be adding a NAS for external backups and eventually a second Proxmox machine in case of hardware failure.

Yes, that was a typo.

I see that there are a lot of directories and files in /etc/pve. What directories and files would I have to make backups of? I ask because if I had to reinstall Proxmox, I assume authkey.pub and pve-www.key would be regenerated making the old ones useless. I say this because I didn't realize until now that they were even there.
simply backup the whole content - is very small - like "tar cvf /backup/etc_pve.tar /etc/pve"

What you are saying is I just have to backup /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db and it will backup all the required directories and files in /etc/pve ?
the content of /etc/pve is stored inside an sqlite-db which is config.db - so, if you save config.db you can (and must) recover the whole content of /etc/pve
What is the difference between backing up /etc/pve and the config.db?
With an copy of /etc/pve (like the tar-file above) you can restore the content to another place, like an pve-node with running VMs, move the restored VM-config to the qemu-server-dir and you see the VM in the gui (you need the VM disk-files also of course).

With the config.db you can easily restore the whole /etc/pve on an new installed node - but not part of this.

Also depends on the usage - like so often.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!