creating normal 2 node cluster

jimmy1987

Renowned Member
Dec 3, 2011
I am trying to create a 2 node cluster but with creating the cluster on both nodes it seems to be choosing randomly which IP to use where it should only use the internal IP listed on vmbr1.
How to influence what IP it uses?

On the first node it uses 127.0.0.1 for whatever reason and on the second node it uses the public IP say for example 1.2.3.4.
It seems there is no way to fill in what IP it uses, it can only use the 172.20.1.x network as that is the only one doing multicasting.

The hosts file on both ones currently have:

NODE 1
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
1.2.3.4 px1.domain.com px1
172.20.1.1 px1.local pvelocalhost

NODE 2
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
3.4.5.6 px2.domain.com px2
172.20.1.2 px2.local pvelocalhost

the second rule I made up of course, normally it's fqdn and public ip are listed there.

In the end I was able to solve my own problem as I found out the cluster looks for the ip behind the local hostname which was on the first node set to localhost for some reason ( my problem ), and on the second host to the fqdn like it should be.
I now changed it on both nodes to the "local" fqdn and rebooted the hosts, after that creating a cluster was easy as one-two-three :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!