Disconnect hanging/invalid nfs-server

ggschmidt

Aug 6, 2014
Hello all,
new to proxmox I got some trouble with nfs for external backup.

After problems with an nfs-server I could delete it in storage-area of the web-administration and newly add under a different name (same server).
This site is ok.

But browsing in the procmox file system (by ssh-shell) it hangs when browsing to /mnt/pve or display "df" (seems nfs still tries to connect).
start/stop etc service nfs-common does not affect anything, no entry in fstab as usal.

Any Idea how to finally delete and stop nfs connections?

thx
gs

I just opened the forum to write a new post and I found this.
I'm trying to remove a nfs storage, moved all VMs disks to a new storage, disabled storage but I see it in df.
I tried to umount it but I got "resource busy".
Double cheked all VMs, there are only some unused disks on the old storage, I don't want to remove because I want a backup on the old storage, I just want to shut down it in a safe way.
PVE 3.0.20 with 3 node cluster

So ggschmidt I suggest you to check if some process VM has disks on the old storage and try to unmount the nfs via ssh and wait with me for some proxmox expert :)

Last edited:
I solved my problem, you can find wich processes are using the storage with the command lsof
example:
lsof | grep name-of-the-mount
then you get the pid on the first column and you can type:
ps auxw | grep pid
and find the VM,remove the disk or cdrom in that storage and reboot it.

I notice that if I disable the storage without deleting it, it is still mounted and I have to unmount it manually, now with no errors, is it ok?

Hello Dendi,
your problem has nothing to do with mine. It only killed my thread :-(

So far, I found the thing, I looked for myself. The line I looked for in fstab, is not there but is in /etc/pve/storage.cfg.
Unfurtuneally I deleted the nfs-mount in the PVE-Site and so it is not in the storage.cfg anymore.
So I have to disconnect a non existing nfsserver but hard connected nfs-share without reboot.

thx
Gerd

Hi,

I had a similar thing and found some help on this forum. I have manually modified the nfs mount in the storage.cfg file to add "soft,intr" to the options line which, as I understand from the documentation causes the nfs mounts to soft fault and interrupt the process calling it if the nfs mount goes away. I then re-started the nfs-common service. I haven't yet tried it to see if removing the nfs-mount causes any problems. It would be nice to have this option in the gui when mounting an nfs device.

YellowShed

Hello YelloShed,

thanks for your post. I found this too and it will help me for the future. My main problem was how proxmox gets the shares, as I thought it should be via /etc/fstab. And how I can savely disconnect the missing nfs. Maybe via
"service portmap stop"? In Suse I could do "service nfs stop" as there is a extra ?? daemon for nfs-clients.

thx
Gerd

Hi Gerd.

Unfortunately (from another post about nfs mount missing the async option) I ran "cat /proc/mounts" and saw that the nfs mount still has "hard" in it and no "intr" option, so I think these have been ignored.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to safely unmount the missing nfs. I ended up hard-rebooting, but you could try the "service nfs-common stop"

I hope someone can confirm how to add options that don't get missed from the storage.cfg file or better yet, from the gui...

YellowShed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!