Transfer subscription

mir

Famous Member
Apr 14, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi Martin,

In the very near future I will upgrade my cluster. The disk will be moved to a new server so that motherboard and CPU will change and thereby, I guess, will change the machine ID?

Is the proper way to transfer the subscription to ask for a new license key to install on the new server?

Ive said it before and I will say it again. This should be done by the end user. By the time we finish deploying HA clusters out in the feild, you guys will need to hire a dedicated staff just to re-issue when we have down hardware. Its a terrible design. Im sure there are reasons but it just doesn't seem very efficient, specially for those of us in the US on different time zones.

Maybe the fear is that people will constantly move subscriptions to and from different servers to avoid paying what they should. Maybe some kind of quarantine could avoid this. Eg. a subscription can only be transferred one time within 48 hours or so?

Maybe the fear is that people will constantly move subscriptions to and from different servers to avoid paying what they should. Maybe some kind of quarantine could avoid this. Eg. a subscription can only be transferred one time within 48 hours or so?

Yep, like I said, im sure there is some reasoning behind it, but I feel they will never be able to keep up once there are 1000's of enterprise installations out there. Now that I think about it, I believe they said it was a limitation of the portal they are using.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!