Containers fail to load

garethbraid

Mar 5, 2013
Goole, United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm slightly confused now as proxmox has suddenly shut down all of my virtual machines and they will no longer boot up. Having tried to google a solution i'm now starting to panic as it looks like all of the data has been lost somehow and there are no current backups (my own fault i know).

When checking folder /var/lib/vz/private it is empty. however /var/lib/vz/root is not and shows all of the IDs.

WHen trying to boot an existing container i get:

Code:
vzctl start 107
Starting container ...
stat(/home/private/107): No such file or directory
Can't umount /var/lib/vz/root/107: Invalid argument
Adding IP address(es): 85.10.241.4
Setting CPU units: 1000
Setting CPUs: 4
Unable to start init, probably incorrect template
Container start failed
Killing container ...
Container was stopped

any help or suggestions would be appreciated, even if i can just recover some of the data and rebuild the containers... To add also when creating new containers there is no issue and it runs fine!

Hello garethbraid

vzctl start 107
Starting container ...

That indicates the storage for the container is not the default local "/var/lib/vz/" but "/home" - therefore you don´t find anything in /var/lib/vz/private (and that´s not a fault). I don´t know how you have organized your storage, could it be that /home is simply not mounted? E.g. Because of a disk-failure, maybe you can repair it and mount it again....

However, if you find somewhere the proper "./private/107" directory you can mount it (with a name of your choice) and adapt the line

Code:
VE_PRIVATE="/home/private/107"

in file /etc/pve/openvz/107.conf accordingly and it should work again.

The respective directory contains all files of your container-vm, if you make an "ls" command a typical result is (root directory of unix)

Code:
ls /home/private/107
bin  boot  dev    etc  fastboot  home  lib  lib64  lost+found  media  mnt  opt  proc  root    run  sbin  srv    sys  tmp  usr  var

In other words you can verify whether it´s the proper container by checking the content (assuming you have an idea about the container specific content).

If these files really disappeared (were destroyed etc.) - unfortunately: no chance.

Good luck!

Mr.Holmes

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Holmes, I did finally find the private directory however it was completely empty in /home/private as well :(

However having checked fstab there is an entry for /home from a seperate device so hoping the provider can come back and tell me its a disc fault as its in raid 1 and that the data is all there (fingers crossed!)

Thanks anyway

and, don't forget, once you get back containers... DO SETUP BACKUP!! :D
better if backups are on a reliable storage, of course... and not the same as your "private".

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!