Getting Started?

VC-Mike

Aug 1, 2014
Hello,

I'm a little confused with getting started on Proxmox, I've set it up on a VM for testing purposes until our main CP server becomes available and found the installation instructions in the wiki with ease, the installation was a breeze! But what next? I can't seem to find any instructions on where to go or where to start next, it just goes straight into creating VM's and containers.

I'm looking to setup a KVM HA cluster.

Sorry if I sound stupid :(

Thanks in advance!

I'm a little confused to how Proxmox works with a central control panel as I only see 1 set of installation instructions. I'm guessing all the servers in the cluster share the same installation procedure? When purchasing a subscription it mentions sockets but we wouldn't want to be paying for the sockets on our control panel server. Our direction at this time is as follows;

1x Control Panel Server & Backup Storage (2x SSD for OS - 8x 2TB RAID10 Backup/ISO/Template etc Storage).
4x Hypervisors (2x SSD for OS - 32GB RAM each).
1x FreeNAS/OmniOS_Napp-it SAN (2x SSD for OS - 10/14x 2TB ZFS RAIDz2 for VM Storage).

Could anyone provide some insight on best practices for configuring this correctly? We're looking to hire a freelancer as well to help through the process, however, if I was able to be directed toward the correct wiki articles in order to do all of this myself, I'd be quite able to.

Thanks,

Mike

...remember that pve works as a multi master cluster (cman), so any node can have full control of all nodes and all operations between them (backup, migrations, storages, etc).

That is why there's only 1 procedure set.

I've never used them, but from what I've read, an exception could be that you can have also pve nodes hosting "ceph" storage (also managed by pve), so in your cluster you could have (3+) nodes "dedicated" to ceph storage (since you probably don't wish to mix virt and ceph storage on a single node), but even ceph nodes are "cluster masters", and you can log into their interface and fully manage also all other nodes: you just "select" the node you need from the web gui, and you're "there"...
It's a wonderful advantage...

Marco

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!