difference between OVS Bond and Linux Bond?

Hello vikozo,

There are different modes provided by OVS Bond and Linux Bond. And they are only partial compatible. To combine OVS Brigdes/Bonds with Linux Bridges/Bonds is partially possible (but I don´t recommend it). What you choose depends from the modes your network supports. In general I´d prefer OVS because it´s dedicated for virtual environment - if case of VLANs I had some problems with Linux, but OVS works fine.

If you try out (that´s I would do next) and change between OVS and Linux be careful in case of cluster nodes: if you change the "main" (=what you define when installing proxmox) networking settings the cluster may not work properly any more - it´s better to make such experiments before joining a cluster.

For studying more about OVS bonding read e.g. this article http://blog.scottlowe.org/2012/10/19/link-aggregation-and-lacp-with-open-vswitch/

kind regards

Mr.Holmes

If you already have a configured bond with ifenslave would it not be smarter to stick with this and then add this bond to ovs bridges. Are there any compelling advantages using a ovs bond compared to a native linux bond?

Hello
thanks for your informativ Feedback.
Because the Server is new and newly set up i could use OVS mean i would have to install and config OVS too.
If i got help i would love to try it and to learn...
have a nice day
vinc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!