How to connect two vm via an internal network

3bola

Aug 1, 2014
Hi,
I am a total newbie. My instructor wants me to connect two vm via an internal network, but I don´t have a clue.
The OS is Win8 x64 and proxmox is up to date.
To be honest I work with proxmox since yesterday and don´t know anything. I do not understand the guides on the internet, because I do not know what to search.

Please help me. :)

Lg 3bola

Hello 3bola,

Following actions can be done via WEB-GUI:

1. go to your host-node symbol, select Network tab and Create -> Linux Bridge, e.g. vmbr1 (no further parameters)

2. stop virtual machines (if they are running)

3. go to each virtual machine, select HW tab and
- Add -> Network Device, Bridge: vmbr1, "Bridged Mode" (if you want to have an additional virtual NIC)
- select proper Network Device -> Edit and adapt the settings as above (if you want to use an existing virtual NIC)

4. reboot proxmox host

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Reactions: damaged_menu
Thank you Mr.Holmes,

you helped me a lot :) that solved my problem.
And thx for that light weighted guide

Thx 3bola

How do you make it so your VMs can't connect to the internet? I'm trying to turn one of my VMs into a Domain Controller but don't want it broadcasting out to the internet due to security issues.

You can turn the network card off in the hardware list of the vm in proxmox. It is a checkbox called "disconnect".

If you still want your VMs to talk to each other then just make sure the bridge vmbr1 that they are connected to has no ethernet cards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!