Question about network configuration

redi78

Jul 31, 2014
Hi,

i am a newbie in such things like virtualisation and have a question. I use a Zywall USG 20 and created a DMZ with e.g. 192.168.10.1.
The Proxmox hosts IP adress ist 192.168.10.5.
I created an CT (Ubuntu Server). So now should i our venet or bridged mode?

Regards,
redi78

OK, so i created the container in bridged mode. I start the virtual machine but can not connect via the console.
screen1 - host.pngscreen2 - guest.pngscreen3 - console.png

What is wrong?

If you are using containers, it is not that easy to use console to connect to them. Look for solution on Proxmox Wiki.
If you want to go inside the container, just login via ssh in Proxmox VE and use these commands:

vzllist -a
this will show all containers running under OpenVZ
vzctl enter #containernumberhere

There is no connection between the problem you mentioned and networking. :)

ah, now i am on the virtual machine. But it seems that something is wrong with the network configuration.

screen4 - virtual machine network.png

I think, that he just didn't know that IP addresses are visible on screenshots and wanted to hide or be more abstracted from the numbers. Look at the SS with bridge. there is 192.168.3.0/24 configured. Or may be tehre are multiple interfaces.

sure. your interface is not up.
set it up in
/etc/network/interfaces like you wold do it in usual physical machine.

in example:
auto eth0
interface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.3.12
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.3.1

save and run
ifup eth0

no problem...it´s just a test host.
promox host is 192.168.3.5
ct created with bridged mode. but ifconfig says that there is no ip. network is unreachable.

root@rdssrv3:/# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.3.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

Ah, it is possible to ping another server in that network, so could it be a problem with the zywall?

sure it can be. zywall is a firewall and you have to create rules to allow traffic from and in DMZ zone :)

sure it can be. zywall is a firewall and you have to create rules to allow traffic from and in DMZ zone :)

Ah so neu i can reach the internet. perfekt. But there is only one issue. On every restart of the virtual machine i have to do ifup eth0 for
initialize the network. why?

hehe. It's Ubuntu template. Don't use Ubuntu as VZ container. Don't know why, but they are always halfdone or smth. I had same problem far way ago, check this thread out. There are some solutions.
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3738-OpenVZ-container-networking-trouble

If you want to use Ubuntu, create a VM using KVM. It will be much more stable.

But better use Debian, its always better :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!