OS Location on RAID 10

pvenub

Mar 17, 2014
Greetings :D,

Am setting up a machine with RAID 10 and wondering if any one out there knows if there is benefit of keeping Proxmox on a separate RAID or including on
the same RAID as the VMs?

My own logic, which is limited, is that the OS and VMs are basically the same application and therefore best case is to have them all on same RAID?

Thank you :confused:

It is not really important if you only have one server/disk for testing purposes as everything will be installed there.

I would place the KVM containers on shared storage if you have a cluster of servers. Vz containers remain on the same partition as the system.

Serge

Thanks Serge,

So are there any benefits of abstracting the vz container from a single server system as well?

:eek:

I read somewhere that vz "should" not be relocated. I do not do it but some people appear to have had success though.

A more experienced user may be able to clarify this for you.

Serge

openvz container can be migrated but there will be, depending on storage, an amount of delay where the container is frozen. Containers can only be migrated using suspend. Another thing containers can only live inside a file system so it requires NFS, GFS or the unsupported CephFS plugin.

This might very well change if proxmox adopts ploop support which behaves as a KVM image, eg a VM running inside a single file/block. This means container will not require a file system and even better openvz containers in ploop can be life migrated exactly the same way as KVM.
See: https://wiki.openvz.org/Ploop

Am going to use a single RAID 10 and see how things behave. Really only have one spare machine to test on so difficult to do
any bench marking with various RAID and OS configurations...
:cool:
Thank you gentleman.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!