Kernel 3.10.0-3-pve / IP-less vmbr1 / not working

macday

Mar 10, 2010
Stuttgart / Germany
Hi guys,

I´m testing the new kernel on some of my Dell Servers and an IP-less bridge to a separate bond is not working.

The KVM´s boot up but thereis no ping from any KVM on this bridge.

Is this a known problem?

Thnx
Mac

Here you go,

# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth2 eth3
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode active-backup

auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.20.90
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.20.250
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports bond1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

this is working on pve-kernel-2.6.32-30

I am guessing it might be something with "bond_mode 802.3ad" (LACP)

Try to change it to something more simple like "bond_mode active-backup" to see if that's the ussue.

And if it is - the next step might be to check other things. eg. Connect hosts directly to see if that not a problem with the switch. etc. I'd recommend to temporary assign ip addres to vmbr1. That makes debuging easier.

Hi, I tried the kernel 3.10.0-4-pve now and the problem still exists. Somehow Mode 4 or 802.3ad is not working with 2 bridges on the same switch. active-backup is working.

But if I boot back to 2-6-32-33-pve everything is working fine. What changed in the bond modes in kernel 3.10 ?

Hi, I tried the kernel 3.10.0-4-pve now and the problem still exists. Somehow Mode 4 or 802.3ad is not working with 2 bridges on the same switch. active-backup is working.

But if I boot back to 2-6-32-33-pve everything is working fine. What changed in the bond modes in kernel 3.10 ?

Hi,I'm using lacp with kernel 3.10 without any problem

Code:
auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
        bond-mode 4
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-lacp_rate fast
        bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3
        slaves eth0 eth1

Thanks spirit. My bond is working but not the "2" bridges like in the first post. On my production servers I always use 2 bonds, one for management and vzdump and another for the virtual machine traffic.

But perhaps I try your bond settings first. The strange thing is, it is working fine with kernel 2.6.32-33.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!