IBM System Storage as shared storage?

1nerdyguy

Apr 17, 2014
I've inherited a legacy Vmware install I'd like to convert over to Proxmox. It's three IBM x3650 M3's, using a IBM System Storage DS3500 as it's shared backend, all connected via SAS cables. Each x3650 has 2 SAS ports in it, which feed to each of the controllers on the DS3500.

I'm wondering if there is any way to use the DS3500 with Proxmox. I've never touched one before, but it looks like a big JBOD array. If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't that just show up as local storage to the machines, and therefore not be available for HA and the like?

If budget was no object, I'd throw in a ZFS box on NFS and be done with it, but sadly, not an option.

Hello 1nerdyguy

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't that just show up as local storage to the machines, and therefore not be available for HA and the like?

An HA managed CT/VM can also be located on a local storage, you have only to ensure that it can be accessed from all nodes in the cluster by the same name, e.g. defining it as NFS share, it can be accessed as NFS also by the "localhost" (but it´s not visible as "localhost" but just with own IP).

How useful it is is another question, i.e. how you ensure redundancy etc.

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I don't see the usefulness, as you mentioned. So I'll probably look at repurposing a machine into a NFS share host, and attach the storage to that and share it out. NFS server shouldn't need too much power I'd think, i.e. a Xeon E3-1230 with 16gb of Ram and 4 bonded Intel nics?

Hmmm...
1nerdyguy You wrote:
"DS3500 connected via SAS cables, Each x3650 has 2 SAS"
it looks like You have dual SAS controler at DS3500 and redundant SAS HBA at each x3650
..so why not use just multipath over SAS connection defined same way on both nodes, when LUN is mapped via mulitpath device then create on it LVM group, it will be visible on both nodes. On Proxmox create new storage as LVM type with shared option selected. This is redundant shared storage access configuration for proxmox. Of course create some kind of safe raid (1,5,10) before exporting as LUN.
Shared storage with redundant connection is enough for HA but like always in HA important is fancing ..and 2 node cluster for HA is a bit risk.
(But NFS for what? Did I miss sth?)

Regards
KP7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!