MIgrate cluster from broadcast to multicast

Sakis

Aug 14, 2013
I have a working cluster using broadcast for cluster communication. This method, plus the default cluster conf, and the number of 7 nodes probably lead to many problems. Nodes get fenced with no particular reason and ha vms get restarted frequently and randomly. problems like these 2 posts
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9743-corosync-364738-TOTEM-Retransmit-List-ca8-ca9-caa-cab
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/13656-KVM-VMs-are-restarted-erratically
I dont have hardware or network problems.

Past week I tried some conf changes and to stay with no more than 5 nodes, with no result.
changes i did to the default conf
Code:
<cman broadcast="yes" keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey"/>
<totem token="54000" window_size="150"/>
<rm status_child_max="20" status_poll_interval="20">

I spoke with my provider and we found the way to use multicast for my cluster communication.

So now i want to check if problems get solved with multicast.

This is a major change and i think i must restart the whole cluster to get the new conf to all machines. I guess that after the change if i reboot one node it will never find quorum, yes? The previous cluster nodes will still comunicate in broadcast. So i have to stop all machines and boot them one by one? I fear that i will never get quorum when they boot again.

Is this the proper way to make this change?

Also should i delete now token conf changes:confused:

I know, but the time i created the cluster our datacenter didnt support multicast at our private network.

Now it does i think its time to change it back.

I changed the conf to multicast.
Edited my network-firewall-routes confs for mcast domain 224.0.0.1/4
Stopped all kvm.
Stopped rgmanager
Removed nodes from fence domain
Rebooted each one node
Eventualy i gainned quorum
Auto boot kvms started

Althought i have some HA problems I consider this solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!