can't Login with GUI but works with Telnet

vikozo

Renowned Member
May 4, 2014
suisse
www.wombat.ch
hello
i have changed something on the Network settings.
Then i had to reboot. After this the server was not visible in the network.
On the Console i changed again the settings to Eth0 , IP, Network, mask Gateway.
After this change i could reach the Server with telnet and Log in.
With the GUI (Webbroser) i could now also access and when entering the pwd i got a error:
Login failed. Please try again.
user name is root password ist copy pasted from a file so i am sure the password is correct.

what could be the reason any help or suggestion?

have a nice day
vincent

Last edited:
No the IP adresse is still the same.
and i get the Webpage (GUI) but if i which to log in i got a error
Login failed. Please try again
with Telnet i have access and with root and pwd i can login without problem

have a nice day
vincent

Hello vikozo,

connect to console and define a new user (e.g. "mrholmes") as follows:

Code:
useradd mrholmes
passwd mrholmes
<specify password>
pveum useradd mrholmes@pam
pveum aclmod / -roles Administrator -users mrholmes@pam

Now it should be possible to login at WEB-GUI and have full access with user "mrholmes"

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

P.S.: I tried to provocate your problem removing the root-user - did not succeed, even I deleted it from /etc/pve/user.cfg In other words the user root MUST exist, password is always the linux password. In your case something seems to be destroyed. However, the method described above is at least an attempt.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!