iSCSI multipath

frantek

Renowned Member
May 30, 2009
Hi,

I try to do a test setup with 2 Synology boxes with HA and iSCSI using multipath on my proxmox host. Now I've created a working iSCSI multipath device on the shell but is there an intended (GUI) way to add this device as a storage target? I'm able to add my singel iSCSI devices with LVM on to with the GUI but I found no way to do so with my multipath device. Can some one help?

TIA
Matthias

:) thanks, I know this, but this ends where my question starts. Multipath works and I have a multipath device but is there an intended (GUI) way to add this device as a storage target? I'm able to add my singel iSCSI devices with LVM on to with the GUI but I found no way to do so with my multipath device. Do I have to set up LVM manually? How do I point the proxmox GUI to the new storage?

You have a new storage? Multipath means you have just a second path to the SAME storage - creating redundancy and more performance.

And no, there is no extra GUI here as the default gui should just work.

and post the output of:

Code:
multipath -ll

You have a new storage?
Yes, besides the old local storage new Synology boxes connected by iSCSI.

Multipath means you have just a second path to the SAME storage - creating redundancy
Yes, but it's accessed by the multipath device and NOT by iSCSI directly ...

and more performance.
IMHO: No, as always only one path is being used. All other pathes are for redundancy only ... at least with all systems I use (Synology, DataCore, IBM SVC) (mainly with vmware)

And no, there is no extra GUI here as the default gui should just work.
AFAIK: No, the multipath device is not detected my the GUI and so the GUI can not be used to create a LVM setup on top.

and post the output of: multipath -ll
Code:
synology00 (36001405fb98d3aedfc4fd3d6edba71d3) dm-7 SYNOLOGY,iSCSI Storage
size=8.0T features='1 queue_if_no_path' hwhandler='0' wp=rw
`-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=1 status=active
  |- 42:0:0:0 sdc 8:16 active ready running
  `- 43:0:0:0 sdd 8:32 active ready running
You can see that the name of the multipath device is "synology00".

This did the trick:
Code:
pvcreate /dev/mapper/synology00
vgcreate vgsyno00 /dev/mapper/synology00

Then I was able to choose "vgsyno00" in the GUI for creation of LVM storage.

For me this is solved now.

Next question :)

I'm doing all this because in near future I want to add a second host to get a cluster. Is shared iSCSI storage sufficient as storage for a cluster ?

TIA
Matthias

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!