Proxmox showing VM error: io-error

eiger3970

Sep 9, 2012
Hello,
I have several VMs on Proxmox showing Status: io-error.
I thought the io-error might have been the VM server, however now that several VMs have the same io-error, could it be Proxmox?
Or maybe a faulty hard drive? The hard drive is new.
Any way of testing to find what the error is?

Hello,
I have several VMs on Proxmox showing Status: io-error.
I thought the io-error might have been the VM server, however now that several VMs have the same io-error, could it be Proxmox?
Or maybe a faulty hard drive? The hard drive is new.
Any way of testing to find what the error is?

Hi,
yes look in the logs (syslog/messages) and see what output you get if you see your storage-config:
Code:
pvs
vgs
lvs
dmsetup ls --tree
mount
any stale nfs-mounts?

Udo

Hi all.

Udo, maybe his error is the same of my error with this new kernel XXXXXX-30.

After upgrade to version 3.2, my messages is the same "io-error" on the VMs and the other error messages on the main server.

I have not tested to rollback the old kernel. (need to get time to do it in the next weekend), but when I do the tests, Ill post a reply on the topic: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/18990-Help-to-Downgrade-3-2-to-3-1-Problems-after-update

Thanks for the command tips.
Here is the output:
Code:
root@proxmox:~# pvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
  /dev/sda2  pve  lvm2 a--  59.12g 7.37g
root@proxmox:~# vgs
  VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
  pve    1   3   0 wz--n- 59.12g 7.37g
root@proxmox:~# lvs
  LV   VG   Attr      LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  data pve  -wi-ao--- 33.00g                                           
  root pve  -wi-ao--- 14.75g                                           
  swap pve  -wi-ao---  4.00g                                           
root@proxmox:~# dmsetup ls --tree
pve-swap (253:1)
 └─ (8:2)
pve-root (253:0)
pve-data (253:2)
root@proxmox:~# mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=220728,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=178508k,mode=755)
/dev/mapper/pve-root on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=357000k)
/dev/mapper/pve-data on /var/lib/vz type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/fuse on /etc/pve type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
beancounter on /proc/vz/beancounter type cgroup (rw,relatime,blkio,name=beancounter)
container on /proc/vz/container type cgroup (rw,relatime,freezer,devices,name=container)
fairsched on /proc/vz/fairsched type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpuacct,cpu,cpuset,name=fairsched)

Not sure what it all means yet. I'm buying a new hard drive and will reinstall Proxmox and the 3 VMs tonight, tomorrow or the weekend when I have time if this io-error can't be fixed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!