Fresh install no network connectivity

amlife

Renowned Member
Apr 4, 2013
Hey everyone

I did fresh install of proxmox today, after completing the setup, I'm able to see all network interfaces along with default bridge which is using eth0 interface, and it is assigned with IP, correct network mask, and checking default gateway is also configured correctly.

However, I'm not able to ping access any remote network or ping my gateway.

to me it seems that its drivers issue, because when I install xenserver or Ubuntu 12.4, I don't experience issues with network connectivity.

Does anyone know is there is a guide that I could use to convert my Ubuntu box to proxmox?

You cannot install proxmox on ubuntu.However there is a possibility to install on Debian(check the wiki).
But why don't you try to troubleshoot the driver issue at proxmox first?

They didn't say anything about installing it on Ubuntu just that Ubuntu was able to connect
what part of
Does anyone know is there is a guide that I could use to convert my Ubuntu box to proxmox?

did you miss?

@amlife: as acidrop said, you can install latest wheezy, then follow wiki guide, but if the pve kernel driver has problem with your nic, it won't work anyway...

you should perhaps list your hardware, nic in particular, and output of
pveversion -v

and post also your
/etc/network/interface
/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
as it could also be a misconfiguration, perhaps.
can you connect also by ssh or web interface? or just local?

and be sure that if you edited network settings from web gui you did reboot the node. or reboot anyway.

Marco

Last edited:
Well, I have tried installing "firmware-realtek_0.36+wheezy.1~bpo60+1_all.deb" however it conflics with proxmox-firmware package, so I removed it then installed it and rebooted my server, yet it doesn't work.

Running the following on the system reveals:

dmesg |grep "Ethernet driver"
r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver2.3LK-NAPI Loaded
r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver2.3LK-NAPI Loaded

Running the same command when I installed xenserver shows same driver version and it works.

Any ideas?

This is one possible way. Use CloneZilla to clone the existing Ubuntu HDD including all partition and create ISO image file.
Then create a VM with 2 virtual CD drive. Load the CloneZilla ISO in one and the backup ISO image in the other. Then boot the VM from the Clonezilla and restore the image on to virtual disk. I used this method about 2 years ago to convert a Windows machine. But the procedure should work for just about any OS, specially Linux machine since they can adapt to just about any hardware. Hope this makes sense.

Probably udo is right. Maybe Proxmox sees as eth0 what others sees as eth1 (I had the same problem trying different OSs on an Alix board).

The fastest way to determine which eth is being used is using
dmesg | tail -20
then disconnecting (or connecting) the cable, then again
dmesg | tail -20

You should see messages about what's being disconnected/connected.

Just an update, I ended up using debian and followed wiki to setup Proxmox VE, It seems to be it was a driver issue.

Thanks everyone for your input.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!