NAT masquerade difficulties

survot

Jun 30, 2014
Hi,

The hosts are in an OVH data center, but I do not think this has anything to do with their hardware.

I am using proxmox to host some VMs. I have two nodes clustered together using tinc as a VPN. This all seems to be working great. The problem I am having is using a PRIVATE IP address on a VM and getting that VM to have an internet connection (not port forwarding to the VM, a internet connection to download packages etc).

I can set up a VM using the failover technique mentioned in the OVH bridge guide, that is working. What I want is a private IP (192.168.15.10) to have internet accesss (e.g able to ping google.com).

On node1 (where the VM is) I have the following interface settings:

Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# for Routing
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 192.168.15.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.15.0
        broadcast 192.168.15.255
        bridge_ports dummy0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '192.168.15.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '192.168.15.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE

# vmbr0: Bridging. Make sure to use only MAC adresses that were assigned to you.
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 188.xx.xx.xx
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 188.xx.xx.0
        broadcast 188.xx.xx.255
        gateway 188.xx.xx.254
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
       # up ip addr add xx.xx.xx.xx/32 dev vmbr0 (I also tried adding a spare FOIP, though currently have it left out)
        #down ip addr del xx.xx.xx.xx/32 dev vmbr0

(NOTE: eddited out IPV6 stuff)

On the VM I give it a NIC on vmbr1 and assign the IP (example 192.168.15.10). I can ping both Proxmox hosts, but cannot access the internet. I cannot work out why this is not working and need some help debugging.

Thanks!

Can anyone offer any advice? Is there more information that I can provide for someone to point me in the right direction on how to debug this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!