IOMMU issue

deranjer

Dec 28, 2010
I think I already know the answer to this question, but was hoping someone could verify this for me.

I am constantly having issues with pci passthrough to containers when trying to pass through a tv tuner PCI device:
Code:
DEVNODES="dvb/adapter0/demux0:rw "
DEVNODES="dvb/adapter0/dvr0:rw "
DEVNODES="dvb/adapter0/frontend0:rw "
DEVNODES="dvb/adapter0/net0:rw "

It will work for a while, then randomly stop working, so I will have to restart it from scratch. Recently I decided to try using KVM for my TVtuner card, instead of a container.

So I start to setup PCI passthrough with KVM, and get to the following line:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=sans-serif]Then run "dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU" from the command line[/FONT][/COLOR]

This returns:
Code:
Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
PCI-DMA: using GART IOMMU.
PCI-DMA: Reserving 64MB of IOMMU area in the AGP aperture

I reboot my machine and check the BIOS. I don't see IOMMU anywhere but after some research see it might be called AMD-V (since I have an AMD board). I look in my BIOS, but only see "virtualization", not amd-v. virtualization is enabled, but doubt that is the same as AMD-v. I searched through the MB manual, but nothing comes up. I went ahead and tried to pass through the PCI device anyway.. no luck.

Here is the hardware I am using:
Code:
  Board Info: #2
    Manufacturer: "Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd."
    Product: "GA-M55SLI-S4"
    Version: "x.x"
Socket: "Socket M2"
    Socket Type: 0x10 (Socket 754)
    Socket Status: Populated
    Type: 0x03 (CPU)
    Family: 0x1d (Athlon)
    Manufacturer: "AMD"
    Version: "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+"

I have a feeling that my hardware is too old, and does not support AMD-V. If that is the case, I suppose I will need to do a lot more troubleshooting on the DEVNODES issue. If anyone has more information, please let me know!
Thanks

Your CPU and motherboard are to old. For CPU you will need an Opteron and provided AMD chipset it must be at least 970. Alternatively you can buy a Intel Xeon with a supported chipset.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!