Proxmox 3.1-21/93bf03d4 won't start 1 of 3 VMs

eiger3970

Sep 9, 2012
Hello,
one of my Proxmox VMs won't start.
Proxmox Status: Error: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c 'usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 163 2>/dev/null" failed: exit code 1

I thought the error might be the VM server, so I removed the VM server.
I created a new Proxmox VM and tried to start the new VM, which would load the newly downloaded CentOS-6.5-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso.
The same Proxmox Status: Error: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c 'usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 163 2>/dev/null" failed: exit code 1

I don't think the hardware is at fault as Proxmox works otherwise and the 2 other VM servers work.

Any suggestions please, or should I reinstall Proxmox?

Hello,
one of my Proxmox VMs won't start.
Proxmox Status: Error: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c 'usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 163 2>/dev/null" failed: exit code 1

I thought the error might be the VM server, so I removed the VM server.
I created a new Proxmox VM and tried to start the new VM, which would load the newly downloaded CentOS-6.5-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso.
The same Proxmox Status: Error: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c 'usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 163 2>/dev/null" failed: exit code 1

I don't think the hardware is at fault as Proxmox works otherwise and the 2 other VM servers work.

Any suggestions please, or should I reinstall Proxmox?

Hi,
your error message say that your console-window failed to start only - not that you can't start the VM (but perhaps the VM don't run?).

What error message do you get, if you start the VM from the pve-host like
Code:
qm start 163
Udo

Thank you for the reply.
I have removed that VM now and tried to rebuild an entirely new VM.
Perhaps there's a way of recovering the removed VM?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.
I have removed that VM now and tried to rebuild an entirely new VM.
Perhaps there's a way of recovering the removed VM?

I have reinstalled CentOS on the Proxmox VM and then I installed Virtualmin and after install, the io-error appeared again?
I am using Mozilla Firefox to view the Proxmox VM server console...is that where the problem is?

what udo said (and you did not follow his advice) is "are you sure that you have started the vm?"

the error you get is not about the vm but the console.

You can only get a working console if the vm is started. Starting the console does not also start the vm. You have to
1) start the vm
2) open the console

if you issue from command line (local or ssh) the command udo said, ie:

"#qm start VMID"
(where VMID is the ID of your VM)

you should see some message that clears out if your vm is running or not, without the need to open a vm console.

if the vm is not running, it is obvious that the console you try to open will fail. the vm is switched off.
but if the vm is running, there could be another problem, maybe for the console, or else.

but you have to be sure of the basic vm status, before...

Marco

The console seems to load some GRUB errors.
I just tried again now and the Proxmox VM server Console shows a black screen.
I've just downloaded another Centos_6.5.iso and will reinstall again and see if this fixes the prob, to identify if the problem is Proxmox, CentOS or Virtualmin.

If u r seeing gruv errors inside VM through console then eventually a black screen then for sure proxmox console is working. It is something inside the VM causing this issue.

Yes, I think the issue might be in the virtual server CentOS.
There are numerous CentOS6.5 bugs and now it won't boot.
So, I'm trying to change the Proxmox virtual server Hard Disk from SATA to VIRTIO.
I can add the new Hard Disk VIRTIO, but not sure how to transfer CentOS from the SATA Hard Disk to the new VIRTIO Hard Disk?

you don't have tro "transfer it", really. Just remove the current "sata" disk from vm "active" hardware, it will be listed as "unused". Then edit the unused disk and reconnect with virtio. Stop&Start the vm (no reboot). If SO has the drivers it just works...

Marco

Thanks for the suggestions.
This worked, however upon Start, the Proxmox Virtual Server loads CentOS into install again. I reinstalled CentOS and Virtualmin which runs on CentOS. Hopefully CentOS will not be buggy now with the Proxmox Virtual Server Hard Disk VIRTIO.

Well, the Virtualmin VM seems to running ok since changing the Hard Disk from SATA to VIRTIO yesterday, however today another VM has the Status io-error.
I think I will change this Proxmox VM's virtual Hard Disk from SATA to VIRTIO and reinstall everything again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!