ISOs: Is there a better way?

Red Squirrel

May 31, 2014
I just discovered the hard way that the ISOs have to be in a rather specific folder (template/iso of a datastore) and it does not handle subdirectories. I have 250GB worth of ISOs all neatly organized by OS, version, etc... Is there a way I can browse through that when installing an OS? I really don't want to have to recopy all of those to another location and have them all in a single folder.

Without digging too deep into editing the web gui, you could add each parent folder as a storage directory. Or if you only want to boot the vm, you could edit their respective configuration file and specify the iso file path.

Code:
ide2: iso_storage:[B]iso/linux/debian/debian-6.0.7-amd64-netinst.iso[/B],media=cdrom,size=168M

if you like the idea, and if it works (never tried), you could also store your iso in other structured folders, and then use symlinks in the /iso folder

I store my isos elsewhere (nas) and then copy on /iso just what I need frequently

Marco

Last edited:
Just tried, I can confirm that symlinks will work. Usage is as follows:
Code:
 ln -s /path/to/file /path/to/symlink

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!