Ceph with NFS Export

carlosmp

Renowned Member
Jun 2, 2010
Since I posted the other day that we were going to attempt to setup the ceph/proxmox cluster and attempt to use NFS with ceph...has anyone tried this and succeeded/failed? I don't want to waste days/weeks trying to get this going if it's a fool's adventure and can avoid it.

TIA,

Carlos.

There should be no conceptual problem in doing such a thing. You have to be aware however, that this NFS system (baremetal/VM) will be a single point of failure if you do not plan on setting up a redundant NFS cluster. This would then introduce the problem that you need multiple RBDs for this cluster, each being stored 2-3 times on the ceph cluster (depending on your settings) so the net storage consumption on the Ceph side will ramp up very quickly.

Hello,

I have a Virtual Machine with its disk on a Ceph pool for NFS. I tested multiple VMs for redundancy, but what I have is stable enough for what I need NFS for. It works fairly well.
Are you running the "Ceph/RBD over NFS" on a proxmox 3.2 node ?

Since I posted the other day that we were going to attempt to setup the ceph/proxmox cluster and attempt to use NFS with ceph...has anyone tried this and succeeded/failed? I don't want to waste days/weeks trying to get this going if it's a fool's adventure and can avoid it.

I tried KVM ceph rbd and exported NFS mounts (>50TB) and did not like it. Disadvantages:
- no failover
- bad performance
- complicated capacity extension
- not scalable

Sure, you can work around each problem, but it takes some time and effort. Currently I'm using ceph-fs (single mds is stable) mounted on each proxmox host and exported via simfs to openvz containers. Works like a charm with infiniband at reasonable performance. Not a single outage encountered. Looking forward to giant release, 3.10 kernel and rdma :)
Disadvantage: no local linux page cache -> don't put hot data on cephfs

Regards, Patrick

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!