Suggestions on migration

carlosmp

Renowned Member
Jun 2, 2010
Hi,

We currently have a 2 node proxmox without HA. We just got some newer servers in, and want to migrate from the current 2 node setup and end up with a 3 node with all the bells and whistles including ceph. I'm trying to think through the process and see if this makes sense, or if I should be thinking of other things:

- Add the 3 new nodes to the existing cluster
- setup the HA/fencing on the 3 new nodes (Is this possible, leaving the other 2 nodes out?)
- configure ceph on the 3 new nodes
- migrate existing containers to one of the 3 nodes.
- kill the old nodes
- celebrate

Also, if we have a subscription on the two existing nodes can those be migrated to the new nodes?

Thanks,
Carlos.

Hi,

We currently have a 2 node proxmox without HA. We just got some newer servers in, and want to migrate from the current 2 node setup and end up with a 3 node with all the bells and whistles including ceph. I'm trying to think through the process and see if this makes sense, or if I should be thinking of other things:

- Add the 3 new nodes to the existing cluster
- setup the HA/fencing on the 3 new nodes (Is this possible, leaving the other 2 nodes out?)
should work.
- configure ceph on the 3 new nodes
- migrate existing containers to one of the 3 nodes.
containers?! You know that ceph is for kvm-storage only?
- kill the old nodes
- celebrate

Also, if we have a subscription on the two existing nodes can those be migrated to the new nodes?

Thanks,
Carlos.
Udo

should work.
containers?! You know that ceph is for kvm-storage only?
Udo

Yes, we're going to try to see if we can use the NFS export with ceph for the containers...will be interesting. It will slow the speed down a bit, but realistically, disk IO is not a concern with our environment. If this fails, we'll just setup the 3 ceph nodes as ceph only, and then setup some proxmox nodes. One of our nodes is enough to handle all our containers/kvms, maybe just need a bit more RAM.

Thanks,

Carlos.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!