ho w do i get proxmox to see MegaRaid lsi 8888elp

Hello I have a Rackable Systems Server ... Intel s5000psl dual Xeons with a LSI 8888elp Megaraid card... Sas/sata plus two channel network
there are 9 bays total which houses 18 terabytes ....

I have currently installed Proxmox 3.2v to the Bare metal hardware...... the installation resides on sata 0 which is also 2 terabytes..
the remaining 16 terabytes reside on the megaraid hardware... currently set as a raid 5 configuration.......

My question is how do i get Proxmox to see the megaraid and be able to load Vm' and Ct's to it... the only storage that I show is the sata 0 drive..
when booting the proxmox software or debian linux kernal recognizes the megaraid ... but when the system is up . not sure how i mount this extra storage in side of proxmox...

I am new to proxmox and to linux in general ... but hey I have gotten this far I am sure if pointed the right direction .. I can complete the mission
of using this awesome Proxmox Hypervisor setup ...

If some one has any Ideals
Please dont hesitate...

and i am not scared of the command line or terminal.. Just not real fluent yet ...
I have plenty of books and i do read them ...
and I have looked on google and just havnt found the right solution yet..

Please advice...

Jeff :cool:

You need to format and mount the remaining RAID5The Debian system does not recognize the RAID5 just yet.USE fdisk to find the right disk first....
Code:
fdisk -l
After you know which one is the 18tb RAID5 (/dev/sdX), then you can follow the direction in any of the links to format with parted.http://www.buildcube.com/tech_blog/...hard-drive-on-debian-linux-step-by-step/After that, I think you can add it as storage to Proxmox from the GUI as a Directory, the one you mounted to_Others will chime in if this is wrong.Most people are VERY busy when you are looking for a response, but you get a much faster response when someone post an invalid response that could cause damage. So if anything I posted is wrong/damaging, give it an hour or two, and someone will chime in. If not, then go for it and report back what happened...

You need to format and mount the remaining RAID5The Debian system does not recognize the RAID5 just yet.USE fdisk to find the right disk first....
Code:
fdisk -l
After you know which one is the 18tb RAID5 (/dev/sdX), then you can follow the direction in any of the links to format with parted.http://www.buildcube.com/tech_blog/...hard-drive-on-debian-linux-step-by-step/After that, I think you can add it as storage to Proxmox from the GUI as a Directory, the one you mounted to_Others will chime in if this is wrong.Most people are VERY busy when you are looking for a response, but you get a much faster response when someone post an invalid response that could cause damage. So if anything I posted is wrong/damaging, give it an hour or two, and someone will chime in. If not, then go for it and report back what happened...

Thanks Raymond for the quick response:

Here is what I have done thus far..
  1. I ran fdisk -l
  2. Found that fdisk did locate the mega raid.
  3. But fdisk cannot be used because it is over 2tb that i need to build a file structure. If i was building smaller partitions then YES
  4. So I used GNU Parted....This allowed me to partition almost for terabytes of the 6tbs of elected to install...
  5. I used putty to accomplish this..Because vnc will not allow copy and paste function..or i dont know how?
The questions I have are as follows...
I have blindly set this to ext2..
  1. I don't know for sure what ext.. it should be...My purpose is to use it just like the local drive present for PROXMOX...except be separated and protected by the raid array.....
  2. How do I mount this in ProxMox?
  3. I want to use it for vm's and ct's.
  4. How do I know I have done this procedure correctly?
  5. Also is there Gui tool I could add to proxmox to help me as a newby..Such as Magic Parted or something simular

Oh Also the link you provided is dead ...But I did search for the record you indicated and had no luck finding it..Not sure it did take me to the blog spot
but had an oops...But i searched for it it and still found nothing .But i did stick around to read some interesting post...

Jeff
Thanks

Last edited:
Do a Google search for "Linux format 3tb". Any of these instructions using parted will work.
Reformat the drive as ext4. It should work better.
After you create the format and mkfs.ext4, create the mount point directory. All of this is through putty
mkdir -p /mnt/storage/raid5

Edit your fstab and add the new mount point.
nano /etc/fstab
You will type in the directory path, hit "tab key". Type in the device partition, ie. /dev/sdb1, hit tab key,typein the fs type (ext4), hit the space bar or tab key, type in "default", space, 0, space, 0.
You want it to look similar to previous lines in fstab. Do not allow your typing to go to next line. Make putty screen larger to avoid wood wrap. There's another way to avoid word wrap, but that's not super easy as making putty window larger.
Once you save that with ctrl-x and yes, try your mount point:
mount -a
To know that it works, you will see your disk under
df -h
At this point, go to Proxmox GUI and click on storage for the datacenter.
Add directory.
Give it whatever name you want.
The path is /mnt/storage/raid5
I'm not in front of a computer so take everything with a grain of salt. My android app for ssh is too difficult to use to create a mock mount point for this little write up

Do a Google search for "Linux format 3tb". Any of these instructions using parted will work.
Reformat the drive as ext4. It should work better.
After you create the format and mkfs.ext4, create the mount point directory. All of this is through putty
mkdir -p /mnt/storage/raid5

Edit your fstab and add the new mount point.
nano /etc/fstab
You will type in the directory path, hit "tab key". Type in the device partition, ie. /dev/sdb1, hit tab key,typein the fs type (ext4), hit the space bar or tab key, type in "default", space, 0, space, 0.
You want it to look similar to previous lines in fstab. Do not allow your typing to go to next line. Make putty screen larger to avoid wood wrap. There's another way to avoid word wrap, but that's not super easy as making putty window larger.
Once you save that with ctrl-x and yes, try your mount point:
mount -a
To know that it works, you will see your disk under
df -h
At this point, go to Proxmox GUI and click on storage for the datacenter.
Add directory.
Give it whatever name you want.
The path is /mnt/storage/raid5
I'm not in front of a computer so take everything with a grain of salt. My android app for ssh is too difficult to use to create a mock mount point for this little write up

Hey thanks
I actually did alot of what you just said.. I am about to get this I assure you...
I got through the parted. and actually must have done ok .. because i looked at the partition using Magic Parted. and it was real close to perfect
so I went ahead and modifed the partition using it.and all is well as far as that .. I also need to change the raid 5 array to read and write privlages.. some how I over looked this in the setup..so this has also been an issue...in the hardware setup web ui...so I am correcting this..andmaking another attempt at it..

I will keep you update on the outcome
Thanks again
I am getting more confidance as we go lol
Jeff

Hello I have a Rackable Systems Server ... Intel s5000psl dual Xeons with a LSI 8888elp Megaraid card... Sas/sata plus two channel network
there are 9 bays total which houses 18 terabytes ....

I have currently installed Proxmox 3.2v to the Bare metal hardware...... the installation resides on sata 0 which is also 2 terabytes..
the remaining 16 terabytes reside on the megaraid hardware... currently set as a raid 5 configuration.......

My question is how do i get Proxmox to see the megaraid and be able to load Vm' and Ct's to it... the only storage that I show is the sata 0 drive..
when booting the proxmox software or debian linux kernal recognizes the megaraid ... but when the system is up . not sure how i mount this extra storage in side of proxmox...

I am new to proxmox and to linux in general ... but hey I have gotten this far I am sure if pointed the right direction .. I can complete the mission
of using this awesome Proxmox Hypervisor setup ...

If some one has any Ideals
Please dont hesitate...

and i am not scared of the command line or terminal.. Just not real fluent yet ...
I have plenty of books and i do read them ...
and I have looked on google and just havnt found the right solution yet..

Please advice...

Jeff :cool:
Hi Jeff,
I prefer the solution to create an small raid-volume for the OS and use the other raid-volume for lvm-storage (or use more raid-volumes - drbd and so on).

In this case your installation are also raid-protected.

Udo

yes I agree .. what I have done is followed the steps previous in this thread and a few of my own just to experiment...and to learn how to accomplish this..

Since then I discovered quite a few things.
1.Such as the raid controller can be made read only, which prevents being used I guess....except for read only operations..
2.I since then made that part work...
3.Basically I have loaded the os and the vms across the Raid Array .So I guess everything is protected as good as raid 5 allows...
4.I also just now have added another 2tb disk to the array to see how this would act when adding to the array through migration..
So far I havnt had any difficulties ..I cannot tell if it actually took.. I assumed this may take some time to migrate properly..

Thanks for your reply
I just want to make it the best ever Lol..
Jeff

Hi Jeffrey Layne Watkins

- If you want have a big partition (+ 2TB.), you can use:
shell> gdisk /dev/sdX #, or
shell> cgdisk /dev/sdX #this is very friendly and easy of use

- For that the kernel know about of this new partition (and don't reboot the PVE Node):
shell> partprobe

- Then, give a format ext3 to this new partition (ext3 is the default file system in PVE 3.2)
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdX

- If you want to add it for that PVE can use it:
1- Run a take a note of the UUID of /dev/sdX (the new partition created):
shell> blkid

2- Add a line to your "/etc/fstab" file, with the purpose of mount it in each boot:
UUID=<the UUID> <path-of-point-of mount> ext3 defaults 0 2
example:
UUID=d0941a08-ab14-428c-9eb2-6b0339311d96 /mnt/extra-disk ext3 defaults 0 2
(Important: where the path "/mnt/extra-disk" should exist previously)

3- Run (to mount everything that is set in the fstab file):
shell> mount all

4- Finally, go to PVE GUI, and add it as directory for your images, backups, or what you want

- Next step: Enjoy of your new volume and space available (at least until something breaks down) and without having restarted your PVE node

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!