System won't boot after 3.2 install

deadnbrkn84

May 19, 2014
I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I'm about to give up on this thing an go a different route.

I downloaded 3.2 and put it on a flash drive and booted from it. Went through the install process and everything seemed to go well and it installed and said it completed. I rebooted the system and pointed the bios to boot from the ssd. After the splash screen it goes to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I redid the whole thing and installed it again and it did the same exact thing. Just to make sure the system was ok, I installed Ubuntu server and the goes without a hitch and installed and booted just fine. So I tried a third time and got the same error. I don't know what else to try. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance!!!

System is:

Asrock z97e itx board
2 x 4 gig ram (ran full mem test and passed)
Intel Pentium Processor G3420 3.2 GHz LGA 1150
SanDisk ReadyCache using as ssd boot drive

Sounds like grub is installed on another drive. Try disconnect all other drives except the drive which you want to have proxmox installed on before booting the proxmox installer.

Sounds like grub is installed on another drive. Try disconnect all other drives except the drive which you want to have proxmox installed on before booting the proxmox installer.

I had no other drives sata cables connected except the ssd and the flash drive from which it was installing.

What are the drives assignment when installing:

flash drive?
SSD?

If SSD is assigned /dev/sdb and flash drive is assigned /dev/sda then grub will look for its files in /dev/sdb but since the flash drive is removed before reboot SSD changes assigment to /dev/sda.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!