Proxmox severs keep going into Read-only mode and breaking Inodes

laptopdude90

Nov 20, 2013
I'm running Proxmox on a Dell PE 2950 server with 32GB of RAM. In it are 2 brand new Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 (Less than a week old). The VM is running Ubuntu 10.04. The virtual HDD is RAW with writethrough. It is 1000GB. For some reason, every few days the VM goes into read-only mode. Rebooting the VM fixes it, and it repairs some Inodes. I'm worried that one day a reboot won't fix it. I don't have this problem with any of my smaller servers.

Help!

This sounds like malfunctioning hardware then. Either the controller or the disks.

I have other servers that read/write much more frequently than that one, so I don't think that's the problem. I think it has something to do with the size.

I have other servers that read/write much more frequently than that one, so I don't think that's the problem. I think it has something to do with the size.
What has that to do with this case? Hardware can get defected at any time. It does not correlate to the numbers of read and write.

Ok. I misunderstood.

Are all VM's using the same cache setting?
What kind of file system is used inside the VM's that fails and the ones that don't fail?

It's happened again! That's the second time today!

Edit: I'm keeping it offline until I figure out what to do.

Edit 2: A possible solution might be to have a 40GB OS drive and a 1TB storage drive.

Hi,
I using some 2950 in our datacenter, and I never had any problem with them.

As they are pretty old, are you sure that the perc cache battery is not dead ?
No error on the screen, plus wouldn't that make all the VMs break?

No error on the screen, plus wouldn't that make all the VMs break?
I have already sometime this kind of problem, with a failing battery, perc controller going from writeback->writethrough,writethrough->writeback because of a failing battery.

Just to be sure that it's not a perc cache problem, can you force the perc in writethrough ?

I have already sometime this kind of problem, with a failing battery, perc controller going from writeback->writethrough,writethrough->writeback because of a failing battery.

Just to be sure that it's not a perc cache problem, can you force the perc in writethrough ?

Unfortunately I can't, I have some important VMs on that server. I do have an identical server, Dell PE 2950, with a dead battery, but that one works fine.

wow..didn't know ubuntu 10.04 have this kind of problem. I am interested to know how you switch to using this guest kernel?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!