No Network Access After Install

jarkle

May 18, 2014
Hello,
I just installed Proxmox and cannot access the network. I can ping my interface but cannot ping the gateway. I cannot access the web interface either.

I also noticed there is no eth0 listed when checking ifconfig.

/proc/net/dev does not show eth0.

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules does not exist

Network configuration
IP: 192.168.1.253
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Thoughts? What should I try or do you need me to provide?

I found this link but it just kind of dead ends..
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9422-No-eth0-device-after-installing-clean-PVE-2-1

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I just installed Proxmox and cannot access the network. I can ping my interface but cannot ping the gateway. I cannot access the web interface either.

I also noticed there is no eth0 listed when checking ifconfig.

/proc/net/dev does not show eth0.

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules does not exist

Network configuration
IP: 192.168.1.253
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Thoughts? What should I try or do you need me to provide?

I found this link but it just kind of dead ends..
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9422-No-eth0-device-after-installing-clean-PVE-2-1

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
is this an standard installation?
What is the output of following commands:
Code:
dmesg | grep eth
ifconfig -a
lspci
cat /etc/network/interfaces
Udo

Hi,
is this an standard installation?
What is the output of following commands:
Code:
dmesg | grep eth
ifconfig -a
lspci
cat /etc/network/interfaces
Udo

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I was out of town on a business trip..

Yes, this is a standard installation.

#dmesg | grep eth
This gives no output..

#ifconfig -a
This lists out interfaces lo, venet0 and vmbr0

#lspci
*I'm assuming you are looking for the Ethernet Controller entry which is..*
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev13)

#cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.253
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I had to type all this out so hopefully I got it all right. It seems like eth0 is not created. Maybe because its not a supported Ethernet controller?

I had to type all this out so hopefully I got it all right. It seems like eth0 is not created. Maybe because its not a supported Ethernet controller?
If #ifconfig -a did not show any ethernet card installed then that is exactly i would assume. Which network card is it? Motherboard integrated? Try to put a different network card and see if linux can recognize that.

If #ifconfig -a did not show any ethernet card installed then that is exactly i would assume. Which network card is it? Motherboard integrated? Try to put a different network card and see if linux can recognize that.

It's onboard. Unfortunately I do not have another card at the moment but I have one on order. Will update when I receive and try it.

Ok, I have installed the new NIC and things are working better now.

The articles to get the onboard NIC working seem to be for Ubuntu and aren't exactly step by step. Does someone else have a step by step procedure to get the onboard NIC working?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!