Network Performance Issues with a 10Gbps Bridge

Hi Spirit

Please, let me to do a question:

As I soon i will install a PVE with card Intel X520-DA2 10 Gb/s (dual port) for a production environment, i want to get the max speed for my Windows system 2008R2 VM in the network communication, so i want to ask you what recommendations have for this case?.

I know that the latest virtio-net driver for windows systems is the "virtio-win-0.1-81", and maybe use LACP 802.3ad will be better (i am not sure), but i don't have practices with NICs 10 Gb, also I know that Virtio-net have much problems with NICs of high speeds.

Any suggestion for gain speed of network communication will be welcome, many suggestions will be the best (Sometimes I hate have this kind of problems... this world isn't rose)

Best regards
Cesar

Hi Spirit

Please, let me to do a question:

As I soon i will install a PVE with card Intel X520-DA2 10 Gb/s (dual port) for a production environment, i want to get the max speed for my Windows system 2008R2 VM in the network communication, so i want to ask you what recommendations have for this case?.

I know that the latest virtio-net driver for windows systems is the "virtio-win-0.1-81", and maybe use LACP 802.3ad will be better (i am not sure), but i don't have practices with NICs 10 Gb, also I know that Virtio-net have much problems with NICs of high speeds.

Any suggestion for gain speed of network communication will be welcome, many suggestions will be the best (Sometimes I hate have this kind of problems... this world isn't rose)

Best regards
Cesar

Hi,

I can't get more than around 1gbit/s in|out with win2008r2.

with win2012 I can reach 5gbits out | 1gbits in. (I think that offloading is working better)

I known that qemu dev are working currently to implement multiqueues virtio-net in virtio driver, which should improve performance for inbound.

Hi,

I can't get more than around 1gbit/s in|out with win2008r2.

with win2012 I can reach 5gbits out | 1gbits in. (I think that offloading is working better)

I known that qemu dev are working currently to implement multiqueues virtio-net in virtio driver, which should improve performance for inbound.

Hi Spirit and thanks for your answer.

But... have you reviewed all the options available to the virtio-net driver installed into the windows 2008R2 system?

Best regards
Cesar

On my linux guest test, the bottleneck is cpu (1core 100%), because by default vhost-net we can use more than 1core by nic.
Hello I want to set a 10gbps server, I'm interested in your post.
What do you mean for by default vhost-net we can use more than 1core by nic ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!