How to add storage to a new host in the cluster?

Nhoague

Renowned Member
Sep 29, 2012
Colorado, USA
Hello,

I recently added two new hosts to my cluster, but they didn't pick up and of my iSCSI storage devices. How do I get them to recognize the storage?

Thanks!

Yes, this is an iSCSI box with open permissions. Whats weird is the /etc/iscsi directory doesn't contain any of connections that the other servers have. Could I just copy those from one to the other?

1. Did you join this new hosts to cluster ?:
- ssh on new host1: command: pvecm add X.X.X.X <- this should be ip of master host for this cluster
- ssh on new host2: command: pvecm add X.X.X.X <- this should be ip of master host for this cluster
2. All nodes have the same proxmox version ? Should have the same in one cluster !!!!
3. How many nodes did you have you before ? If only one, maybe you mounted this iscsi localy for first node instead for clustrer.
4. Write more about it , what was your cluster configuration before, and what you has done when added this new nodes.
More info = faster help and more effective advice :D

Last edited:
Ok fair enough ... so ...

I had 4 hosts in the cluster all part of the iSCSI storage. I built two new servers using the same version as the other four, and joined the cluster the correct way. "pvecm add x.x.x.x" and it did run through the entire process as I am used to. Then these two new hosts showed up in the list of hosts, but they are not able to access any iSCSI storage. Whats odd, is I've done this before on hosts and never had this odd issue.

It really is almost as if the iscsi connection info just didn't get transferred. I may test today by adding a new iSCSI to one of the new hosts and see if the pvecluster file system is in fact working correctly.

I'll repost what I find, thanks!

We don't know yet what nas box do you have, so check in the meantime, with how many iSCSI Target Volumes it can work at the same time. Or how many targets in NAS config can be assigned to this Share Target.

I have a Nimble Storage array capable of .. well, I dont know, but far more than just the current 7 iSCSI volumes I have configured. :)

Ow, I have an Idea , if you are using domain name in your cluster , check /etc/hosts
on all old nodes: ssh: vi /etc/hosts or nano /etc/hosts <- add new nodes , old nodes and NAS should be already there
on all new nodes: ssh vi /etc/hosts or nano /etc/hosts <- add old nodes, rest new nodes and NAS

Last edited:
Hmm ... this made no difference either! I do have an idea though, but I'm not at the data center for a few more days. I am going to try just copying the iscsi config files from a good node and then reboot this host. I'll let you know whats up!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!