Console from Webinterface not working

imueller

Apr 17, 2014
I am testing Proxmox VE. The installation is very easy, but i cant install any VMs because the Console will not work!
My computer has Windows 7 64 Bit SP1
Java 1.7.51 32 Bit
The Proxmox VE is the latest Version.
When i try to connect to the webinterface of the fresh installed server with IEp, i get a certificate warning. When i install the certificate, it will still not work (nothing on the Page)
if i use FF 28.0 i can work with the webinterface after i installt the certificate. but when i start a fresh configured vm (in QEMU Format) the console will not work. i get a new browserwindow with a blanc screen.
so i cant install any os in the vm.

what is my mistake?

i just installed the 64 bit java. nothing changed.
in the tasks window i get ete message:
o connection : Connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 101 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

not on the windows host. in proxmox ve i downt know.
how can i find that out?

i foung no service listening on port 5900 on the proxmpx ve (netstat)

Last edited:
There is no blocking device between my computer and the ve server.
the java plugin is not asking for permission. It loks like it will not start. FF is opening a popup window and thats it.
i added a picture of the window.

Attachments

• proxmox_console.png
    proxmox_console.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 33
is there any docu how to do that?
i am no pro in that.

do i have to install vnc on my windows computer in order to use the java plugin?

i installed spice.
but i cant select the scice console from the webinterface.
how du i have to configure or use spice?

the java plugin is not asking for permission. It loks like it will not start. FF is opening a popup window and thats it.

U have to change the security in java, findable in systemcontrol? or systemsteuerung?

After that it should work, i run it in virtualbox and have the problem it not works always so i have to press reload (right top corner) and when u can see Status:X-509 or so it will appear soon. :)

java works now!
the java plugin was not enabled in FF!
but afeter all the security questions and permissions i get the next Error:
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 2

Hello,

if you stuck with console issues in web-browser: there is a workaround (not recommended for longer usage, is a little bit slow) possible without a web-browser but an ordinary vnc viewer, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Vnc_2.0 "Enabling Vnc 2.0 for use with old vnc clients (Including iOS and Android)".

Good luck!

Mr.Holmes

the next strange thing:
the console connects to a vm witch is configured tu bbcome a linux vm. so i can install linux on it.
on the vm witch is configured to become a windows 7/2880r2 systen the console will fail with the discribed error.

it looks like proxmox is not the right thing to virtualise windows os. but i have to!

Update:

when i configure a vm to become a linux system and install windows on it, the console will connect too!
strange things happen in proxmox!

i go for the easterweekend now.
so have a nice weekend to everybodey!!!

Last edited:
on the vm witch is configured to become a windows 7/2880r2 systen the console will fail with the discribed error.

In case of "windows" the default for display is different than linux - try the other display type "VMware compatible" and "Cirrus" - or use the workaround I described above

it looks like proxmox is not the right thing to virtualise windows os. but i have to!

Cannot agree - especially with windows 7 I had excellent results, after using virtio and SPICE (with 2 monitors, works perfectly, but needs drivers in the guest)
Don´t forget behind this is kvm, a very powerful virtualization technology, but very complicate too. PROXMOX helps to use it, but some delicate issues remain.

when i configure a vm to become a linux system and install windows on it, the console will connect too!
strange things happen in proxmox!
so have a nice weekend to everybodey!!!

I would not say it is strange - the type "windows" is just to optimize the virtual HW for windows, but as long as OS is not installed it has no relevance ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!