Planning a new server setup with Proxmox

mygeeknc

Renowned Member
Jan 31, 2013
I'm planning a new proxmox install in a rack for some services that we are planning to offer and I'm trying to decide if what I'm doing is the best way to handle it. The idea is provide a couple of servers for Remote Desktop Purposes, basically a 2008 RDS server likely to handle 75 users.

We will have two C6100 host servers that have 4 blades each. Two blades of each server will have Proxmox installed, giving me essentially four proxmox servers. Each of these four servers will have a single Intel SSD for Proxmox to run from. Each of these machines have two Intel 82576 Gigabit nics, one nic will be going to a HP Procurve 1810 switch for connectivity and one will be going to another 1810 Procurve for access to a NAS device.

Now this is where I'm not sure which way I should go. I'm looking at FreeNAS as a storage option but also at a Synology device. I figure that iSCSI would be the best to host the VM images and have a separate NFS storage on the NAS for backups.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this setup? My main concern is performance issues. Thanks for any feedback.

I would venture to say that OmniOS with Napp-it my be better. I DON"T have anything to back that up. But I understand that FreeNAS does not provide LZ4 compression which is supposed to be a performance boost. Here, I have a mixture of OpenFiler and OmniOS ZFS. I can honestly say that Openfiler is much easier to use, but usage is limited. I can also say, OmniOS has been more rock solid in both performance and uptime.I would also say a single OmniOS with 13 drives should provide the performance you need for both iSCSI and NFS. Napp-it is a great addition for management. Let me know which way you go.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!