Installation fails on HP DL380 G6

pudl

Apr 14, 2014
Hi guys.
I am trying to install Proxmox on a HP Proliant DL380 G6 server.
Currently we are using VMW ESXi for a virtualization and I am not satisfied with the direction they are going (web client....). So wanted to try something new. Found PVE and it looks like a decent replacement.
But I have huge problem installing it.
Server has 2 CPU's, 32 Gib RAM and 5 HDD in RAID 10. I am trying to install PVE on internal USB key as I did with other systems like ESXi or FreeNAS. They all booted fine from USB, but not PVE. I am using latest ISO for the installation and after about 30 minutes, installation finished normally. But after reboot, it did not find boot device. I have to say that I tried installing it with HDDs connected, disconnected, BIOS disabled controller, with no success.
Maybe I should try installing it alternative way over Debian?
Any suggestions what to do?

Br, Ales.

Hi guys.
Currently we are using VMW ESXi for a virtualization and I am not satisfied with the direction they are going (web client....). So wanted to try something new. Found PVE and it looks like a decent replacement.
PVE is also using a web client??

PVE is also using a web client??

I do not have a problem with web client in general. Problematic is their implementation of it, because with V5.5, native client does not have all the functionality. But it is not just the web client that the users of ESXi are not satisfied with.
In short, looking for an alternative solution.

Br.

Fair enough. It just seemed that your only objection to ESXi was the web client and if that was true you would be disappointed with PVE;)

Dozen of DL380 G6 with Proxmox here. No problems..
Configure Raid Array with ACU, boot it and install it. Proxmox supports P410i (branded lsi) out of the box.

Do you sure with Raid10 and 5 HDDs? Raid10 require a tupelo of two hdds..Looks like no Raid array is created.

Dozen of DL380 G6 with Proxmox here. No problems..
Configure Raid Array with ACU, boot it and install it. Proxmox supports P410i (branded lsi) out of the box.

Do you sure with Raid10 and 5 HDDs? Raid10 require a tupelo of two hdds..Looks like no Raid array is created.

Hi.
4 HDDs in RAID 10 and one hot-spare. But I want to install PVE on an internal USB key not on hard drives! Do you have all Proxmoxes installed on HDDs?

Yes sure, a separate array (Raid1) for the OS and remote storage for VM files. Installation of proxmox to an USB stick isn't really clear. It often writes to the USB stick and kills the NAND.

@Mir: Thank you. Will do that.
@Joernst: So, USB is not a preferred option then? OK, off searching for 2 small HDDs.

Don't use an USB stick. The NAND of this stick will be failed after few weeks/months/.. and you will lost all of your configuration files. An USB stick is not built to use it as a normal filesystem/hdd which you write permanently.

Thanks for the info. As far as I know, ESXi was built with USB storage in mind. I just thought that PVE will act the same. Today I installed it on a local HDD and is working fine.
Thanks for all the help.

Br.

ESXi was built with USB storage in mind
This is not true. It is supported on USB flash drive only which has no resemblance with an USB stick. A flash drive can be considered as a SSD connected through an USB interface.

The recommended storage for installation is a HDD or a SDD.

I think 'install debian way' refers to ,

-- install minimal debian, manually, in way you see fit, to storage you see fit. (USB, SW Raid, Whatever unsupported config you may wish to test)
-- then add the APT repo for proxve to your sources
-- install proxve components.
-- proceed with your less-supported (ie, custom) config :)

some hints are visible here, for example:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy

Broadly speaking the old model baseline for ProxVE was to install onto HW Raid. Local disk space will be carved up into minimal space for ProxVE OS platform, and most of space (/var/lib/vz) for VM storage. Newer versions of proxmox support ZFS (plus ceph, etc, very diverse storage model scenarios) so for people who really want "no hardware raid, want software raid" then ZFS is way to do that now on an ISO-appliance-installed build. More or less.

Generally speaking, if you want to just kick the wheels on Proxmox with minimal fuss and muss,

- have a decent box with Hardware raid and decent disk space locally
- possibly also have NFS misc filer storage target/NAS/Server for assorted storage. (I am partial to "Synology" devices for commercial modest priced easy-solid NAS but of course various linux free options exist too; plus many other options I won't discuss here).

Anyhow, just my 2 cents on a thread that maybe is already a bit past.

Tim Chipman

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!