NFS mount & share recommendations .. Can proxmox create a wiki entry for NFS

chuzzy

Nov 29, 2013
Hi,

I started out using iSCSI to present storage nodes to my 2-node proxmox cluster .. Had issues with zfsguru and then switched over to OmniOS/Napp-IT .. A few issues and confusions made me question the use of iSCSI in my low-spec storage environment, and so I went NFS on both zfsguru and OmniOS/Napp-IT and that is how I run now.

I have been looking around for definitive best practices information on:

• how to configure storage.cfg with mount options .. and if the options would vary if the storage in question is being used for backups, isos, or vms ..
  • What disk caching method best works for nfs, perhaps for particular operating system guests
  • Again, regarding nfs sharing, what important options would one need on nfs share backed off zfs .. or even stand-alone nfs shares ..
  • (I am talking here about best practices that are proxmox specific .. )

I have trawled countless threads on here complaining of poor nfs performance, and cannot detect any set of best practices. I look at the wiki (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Category:HOWTO) and it seems everything else has attracted a wiki entry, except NFS. Considering how widely used nfs is amongst proxmox users, I am making a plea on behalf of every user for a wiki page covering nfs .. I hope this is not too much to ask ?

For example:

-- what is the significance of maxfiles in storage.cfg?

-- what protocol works better (tcp or udp)? .. how about other nfs parameters like noatime, timeout, etc? .. and would that differ if the storage is used for a VM, as against being used for a CT or for backups?

-- what rsize and wsize would work best for different usage scenarios .. etc etc

Proxmox engineers have intimate insight into the system, and are best placed to give general advice and suggestions .. of course, with the usual provisos and YMMVs .. But at least, let us have some general guidance, instead of being forced to stumble through guesses of optimal settings.

Hi,
maxfiles means number of backups on that storage.

On some threads I have found this settings in storage.cfg could help options vers=3,tcp,nolock,noatime .

I haven`t seen any significant improvement in my setup while changing rsize and wsize.

When mounting backup storage based on zfs I use this sharenfs options no_subtree_check,async,no_root_squash .

But I agree this would be a perfect topic for a wiki article, although these information can be found around this forum.

l.

Liska, thanks for sharing the information and what works for you ... really appreciate that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!